New to home schooling
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: New to home schooling

lorilee is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default New to home schooling

I recently become a custodial parent to my 12 year old granddaughter. At this time I have decided that home schooling is the way to go. I am open to suggestions as this is so new to me.

certified2sign Guest

My sons (unexpected) final day was yesterday. We were going to wait until the Thanksgiving Holiday, but his teacher had the nerve to tell me that she wanted me to reconsider my decision because she thinks she could do a better job at educating my son than myself. This lady has talked to me 5 times probably this entire year. She knows nothing about what I am qualified to do. Then I found out that she told the same thing to my son and his feelings were very hurt that she spoke that way about his mother. Needless to say I left a voicemail for the assistant principal and my husband and i will be going there Monday to let them know that he absolutely will not be coming back.
    NC1219 likes this.

ChristineBBD is offline Junior Member

Default You will be just fine!

The first thing I can recommend is.... relax! You will be fine home schooling your child. I put pressure upon myself in the beginning too, and I wish someone had told me to relax from the start. As you get started you build confidence, figure out what works and what doesn't. Remember, tomorrow is another day!

Time4learning is a great curriculum. I've been pleased with it. My son loves the LA and math.

I'm so glad I decided to home school. My son's needs were ignored last year in his class (a public school in Durham). The teacher refused to give out her phone number, never returned even 1 phone call, saying her time was her time. I ended up 'volunteering' in the classroom twice a week so I could see what was going on. I found out there were at least 8 students she ignored. She 'taught' the students and if they missed something, oh well.
    Christine

karenhs2 is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by lorilee View Post
    I recently become a custodial parent to my 12 year old granddaughter. At this time I have decided that home schooling is the way to go. I am open to suggestions as this is so new to me.
    Though you may feel alone, i know quite a few grandparents who are homeschooling. Are you planning to start by using Time4Learning as your curriculum? It is a great place to start because it relieves you of a number of decisions right off the bat. You can always move to something else later if you find it isn't a good choice for her.

The harder part will be the social side. Not because it is hard to socialize homeschoolers! But because that is a difficult age for girls and it is easier to find homeschool friends when they are younger. If I were you, I would work to continue any friendships she currently has that are good while making persistent efforts to plug into your local homeschooling community. This can take time and effort to find other families you mesh with - don't give up! Where are you located? (city and/or county)

Quote Originally Posted by certified2sign View Post
    My sons (unexpected) final day was yesterday. We were going to wait until the Thanksgiving Holiday, but his teacher had the nerve to tell me that she wanted me to reconsider my decision because she thinks she could do a better job at educating my son than myself. This lady has talked to me 5 times probably this entire year. She knows nothing about what I am qualified to do. Then I found out that she told the same thing to my son and his feelings were very hurt that she spoke that way about his mother. Needless to say I left a voicemail for the assistant principal and my husband and i will be going there Monday to let them know that he absolutely will not be coming back.
    Good for you!! Be aware that there is always a transition time as you and he figure out this new adventure. If it feels hard some, or many, days, it is not because you aren't cut out for homeschooling. it is a little like moving to a new place. Give yourselves time and grace to let it settle.

NC1219 is offline Junior Member Newbie

Same thing happen to me & my family.

pandahoneybee is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Thanks for stepping in and giving the best advice ever. RELAX and TAKE IT SLOW!! I too wish someone had told me that one when i first started! best of luck
    pandahoneybee
    My personal blog- Pandahoneybee's Homeschooling Adventure

leslie bennett Guest

Default New to Home Schooling

Hi my name is Nikki I recently pulled my daughter out of public school, I am very nerous about this whole home schooling thing will time 4 learning be the only curriculum that I have to have for my daughter or do I need to purchase another curriculum also. I pulled her out due to asthma complications and the fact whooping cough is going around in our schools here and also my mother died dec 28th whom my daughter shared a room with for 8 yrs up until october, she is having a very hard time adjusting to the fact of her grandmother dying and also due to my husband walking out in may 2011. He is not helping matters he is making things worse on myself and the kids as I also have a son who has lots of behavior and mental health problems but still at this time attends public school, I guess I am scared because my ex has always told me I was never good enough to do anything and once again he has done it by trying to call the school board and threatening me with saying I am neglecting her by taking her out of public schools even though she has lots of friends from competitive cheerleading and neighborhood friends. thanks for all the help.

Nikki, you can do this!!! And T4L is a great place to start in a situation like this. It is a basic complete curriculum. This means that while you could add things to it, it is okay not to and I would recommend not adding a lot with everything that you and she are dealing with right now. One thing that is great to add in any case is reading aloud together. Pick out a book you would both enjoy and see if you can fit this in. Maybe at bedtime to include your son. There is nothing better for furthering their education and building your relationships. If you don't feel you can read (energy wise or whatever), get a book on CD.

Here are some of our favorites: Narnia (just the Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe or the whole series), Little House on the Prairie, Anne of Green Gables (this is harder to read aloud though than the other two), The Box Car Children (this is a younger age but so much fun), or Hank the Cow Dog. Find something you all like even if it takes a few tries, everyone is different. You could start with some good children's books as a warm up, ask your librarian for suggestions.

Later on when the situation improves, you might consider adding some writing to her day. You can start gently by encouraging her to write in a journal. This might also be healing for her. You can read it or not.

also encourage her to pursue her interests. There is a lot that children can and will learn on their own given time and support.

Take care of yourself and them. Dont' let him put you down (don't internalize it). You were obviously strong enough to leave an abusive situation (reading between the lines), now you are modeling for your children how to rebuild a life. Do it for yourself and do it for them. You have been and are under a LOT. Get down to the basics of pulling together, getting sleep and rest, eating good food and just being. More academics can come later.

Sending you a big hug.

LaTicia Guest

Default New to homeschooling as well

Hello. My name is LaTicia. My husband and I knew from the beginning (2005) that we didn't want to homeschool our children. now that my oldest is 6 and my next oldest is 5 ive decided to finally get started. ive often wondered about doing this. I've told myself that i can't possibly teach these kids and have gone to schools and put in applications. but something just didn't sit right with us about putting them in the school system. a friend of mine told me about t4l and i thought what could this do? but it has turned out to be something that has lifted a LARGE boulder off of my shoulders. i had NO idea of what books to get the children or where to start as a parent. it got to be so bad i would cry from fear of trying to homeschool these kids. i thought a teacher would for surely do a better job of getting my children the education that they need right? i especially started feeling like a failure once i started to think about how my almost 7 year old doesn't know how to read yet. but i just sucked it up and said "i have to start somewhere" and just started them on this curriculum. so far so good. so far my husband and i are happy with it and the kids seem to enjoy it as well.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast