new to homeschooling Charlotte north carolina area
    Unregistered Guest

Default new to homeschooling Charlotte north carolina area

I am new to home school. I have a 5,6,7,8 year old . My third grader is attending public school. My kindergartener,first,and second grader hated public school so they are homeschooled now. I was wondering if anyone else has to supplement for elem age kids or can you just use this program. If you do what do you use. And is the program sufficient for science and social studies.

Unregistered Guest

Wink yes!

hi, we are formerly from charlotte, and I use time4learning with my third grader. we just started but I love it. In gastonia, she attended the charter school and that was great, so we've pulled the core knowledge curriculum they used in addition to time4learning. I also try to be creative with additional sources, netflix and youtube are great for videos. I fell in love with time4learning. I taught middle school for five years and i found most of it to take an approach I would have taken my self. The math and science are the strongest, but science and social studies can be easy to supplement. I'm using the core knowledge "what every third grader needs to know" as a guide to make sure we hit everything, but I really believe you could use just time4learning.
    The good thing about charlotte is that you have SO many opportunities to get the kids out and let them explore topics.

If i can help you in any way, please let me know!

Susan

[email protected]

Nicole McGhee is offline Senior Member

Susan offered a lot of great information! I'll say that with my 5th and 1st grader, we supplement very little to our Time4Learning lessons. They have handwriting work they do and they read independently. We also take field trips and participate in Cub Scouts (so that lends itself to be very homeschool friendly as we're always learning new skills). As far as our core goes, however, that's Time4Learning. I feel like it's definitely enough!
    ~Nicole
    Homeschooling My Three Sons
    5th Grade, 1st Grade, and a preschooler!
    Army Family since 2003

Unregistered Guest

Default new to homeschooling

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    hi, we are formerly from charlotte, and I use time4learning with my third grader. we just started but I love it. In gastonia, she attended the charter school and that was great, so we've pulled the core knowledge curriculum they used in addition to time4learning. I also try to be creative with additional sources, netflix and youtube are great for videos. I fell in love with time4learning. I taught middle school for five years and i found most of it to take an approach I would have taken my self. The math and science are the strongest, but science and social studies can be easy to supplement. I'm using the core knowledge "what every third grader needs to know" as a guide to make sure we hit everything, but I really believe you could use just time4learning.
    The good thing about charlotte is that you have SO many opportunities to get the kids out and let them explore topics.

If i can help you in any way, please let me know!

Susan

[email protected]
    HI,

I am also in gastonia and i am looking at homeschooling options for my soon to be kindergartner. Does this program meet all of the state certifications? Is this the only program that I will need to homeschool her?
    Please help as I am new to this!!

Thanks,
    Kristy