New mom in need of answers for homeschooling
    Unregistered Guest

Default New mom in need of answers for homeschooling

Hi, I started my son in public school this year. He is so unhappy. I have researched the laws in NC, but it is somewhat unclear. I want to withdraw my son from school and homeschool him. I just want to make sure I am not going to incur legal troubles as a result. He is only 5 and doesn't need to register before 7 years old. However, with him already in the public school system, I wasn't sure if I needed to fill out the letter of intent. Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Nicole McGhee is offline Senior Member

Hello! I'm not entirely sure if it's required that you notify the state in your situation, but if I were you, I'd send in my letter of intent anyway. Since he's already been in the public school system, I would want to let the state know that he was attending school somewhere after he was removed from the school he was attending. Hope that helped.
    ~Nicole
    Homeschooling My Three Sons
    5th Grade, 1st Grade, and a preschooler!
    Army Family since 2003

hac1224 is offline Junior Member Newbie

Hi! I'm new to the forum but not at all new to NC homeschooling. For pulling a 5yr old out of public school you will have to write a letter to the school stating why you are removing him but you do not file a letter of intent with the state until he is turning 7. We did the exact same thing with my now 8yr old at that age. Our school didn't give us any trouble, but your school might not be as easy going. Just remember, he is your child and NC laws allow you to homeschool at that age with no documentation at all since compulsory attendance doesn't begin until age 7.

If pulling out a child 7yrs or older, you will most likely be required to show your official "card" (now just

Nicole McGhee is offline Senior Member

Thanks for the info.! I wasn't sure who would need to be notified in that situation, but now I know!
    ~Nicole
    Homeschooling My Three Sons
    5th Grade, 1st Grade, and a preschooler!
    Army Family since 2003