New to T4L

Thread: New to T4L

sstc is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default New to T4L

Hi everyone,

We are in Wilson NC, about 35 miles east of Raleigh. After a very frustrating three, 9wk grading periods, I decided homeschooling was best for my 9 yo daughter. We began homeschooling in early April. My daughter is very bright, but has inattentive ADHD/Executive Function disorder, brought on by sleep apea. These issues caused her to be a little behind socially and generally unaccepted by her peers and a target for bullying. Thankfully, I can say that this disorder has also prevented her from fully understanding what went on, so her self-esteem is still intact.
    I am hoping to find other homeschoolers in my area that may know of field trips, activities, and other events which are educational but also provide a social outlet for her. Any thoughts/ideas would be greatly appreciated.

pandahoneybee is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

I know what you are going thru, I was trying to make the system work for my oldest when he was in school (also has ADHD) he was the target for every bully in the place! I was there almost everyday volunteering to try and cut down on it but if never failed towards the end of his 5th grade he came into the car crying everyday about someone doing something to him! SO good call to pull your daughter out now versus later!
    I would suggest you look into homeschooling groups in your area, they can be a lifesaver for social type events or classes that will keep her love of learning alive! Also if your community has a center that they offer classes for kids it is another place that she can be around her peers, even sports programs (if she is into that type of stuff) Cary Homeschoolers is one group that I know of that HAS LOTS of social type meetups and get togethers
    Hope that this is helpful!
    pandahoneybee
    My personal blog- Pandahoneybee's Homeschooling Adventure

lmgzme is offline Junior Member Newbie

Hi
    We are new to T4L as well, I pulled my son out in April dealing with the same issues. We are in Mocksville NC tho, but I am really enjoying T4L and so is my son. SUPPORT GROUPS ARE KEY!!! He goes to the YMCA every thursday for 2 hours of PE 1 hr of swimming, 1 hr of outdoor sports, so check your Y see if they have anything
    mommieof7

pandahoneybee is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Thanks for the tips Imgzme!! I am going to check that out for my teen, he needs more away from home things to do!!
    pandahoneybee
    My personal blog- Pandahoneybee's Homeschooling Adventure

sahmof2 Guest

I'm also a homeschooling parent in the wilson, nc area. My 2 kids are 3 and 5. We will actually start our first year of T4L in about 2 months, we are very excited to start this new journey.

rockridgegal is offline Junior Member

I am also in the Wilson Area and new to T4L about 2 weeks now and have been homeschooling x 2 years and LOVE IT !!! I love it because my son loves it !! It can be tiring and exhausting but all good things come with a little sweat and tears and thats ok !!! I am in the CHOW group here and we have lots of great families and kids and they all treat everyone the same!!!

Good luck and would love to chat more !!!