Overwhelmed and need help in NC!
    redraven063 is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Overwhelmed and need help in NC!

Hi everyone! My name is Jada. I have been researching homeschooling my son since first grade (now 3rd, I know, long time....lol). I have read what's required but other than that, I'm overwhelmed to say the least. I would appreciate any help, advice, etc. TIA!

Jada

Joyfulmama is offline Senior Member

We have been homeschooling for 7 years. Do you have any specific area that is making you feel overwhelmed? We are relatively flexible homeschoolers BUT I highly recommend getting a routine going. Especially for non field trip days. My two know that there are certain things that have to get done in the morning- their T4L work and also a different online reading program I use for my son. In the afternoons things are much looser. Also a homeschool group or coop is very helpful.

Nicole McGhee is offline Senior Member

Those are great tips and I definitely think the idea of a routine is a great one. Even a loosely scheduled day that has just a natural flow from one activity to the next will help set your day up to be a little smoother. Hope you are finding your rhythm.
    ~Nicole
    Homeschooling My Three Sons
    5th Grade, 1st Grade, and a preschooler!
    Army Family since 2003

Unregistered Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Joyfulmama View Post
    We have been homeschooling for 7 years. Do you have any specific area that is making you feel overwhelmed? We are relatively flexible homeschoolers BUT I highly recommend getting a routine going. Especially for non field trip days. My two know that there are certain things that have to get done in the morning- their T4L work and also a different online reading program I use for my son. In the afternoons things are much looser. Also a homeschool group or coop is very helpful.
    Hi. The biggest part that I think is overwhelming me is how to plan. It seems like so much has to get done and I have looked at samples but I just can't seem to wrap my mind around it. I really appreciate the tips. I have looked online and make a couple of inquries but not getting any answers back. I have yet to find anyone in my area that homeschools so I can see how it is all done. I am more of a hands on, see for myself kind of person. The other biggest thing that overwhelms me is, my son and I are a lot alike (I taught him my temperment very well unfortunately lol). How do I homeschool him without either one of us becoming completely neurotic? lol He does have APD (auditory processing disorder) and still checking more into the ADHD. With spring/summer coming up, I'm really not sure how to homeschool him as I am unable to tolerant heat. I do not want to be a school at home. I would like it to be fun and relaxed, not pressured and miserable. We have bought workbooks from 1st to 4th (waiting to arrive) to supplement his regular schooling but it doesn't seem to be helping as much as I'd hoped it would. I am also more of an introvert than he is and not sure how to handle the co-op thing. Sorry for rambling! lol

Quote Originally Posted by Joyfulmama View Post
    Hi. The biggest part that I think is overwhelming me is how to plan. It seems like so much has to get done and I have looked at samples but I just can't seem to wrap my mind around it. I really appreciate the tips. I have looked online and make a couple of inquries but not getting any answers back. I have yet to find anyone in my area that homeschools so I can see how it is all done. I am more of a hands on, see for myself kind of person. The other biggest thing that overwhelms me is, my son and I are a lot alike (I taught him my temperment very well unfortunately lol). How do I homeschool him without either one of us becoming completely neurotic? lol He does have APD (auditory processing disorder) and still checking more into the ADHD. With spring/summer coming up, I'm really not sure how to homeschool him as I am unable to tolerant heat. I do not want to be a school at home. I would like it to be fun and relaxed, not pressured and miserable. We have bought workbooks from 1st to 4th (waiting to arrive) to supplement his regular schooling but it doesn't seem to be helping as much as I'd hoped it would. I am also more of an introvert than he is and not sure how to handle the co-op thing. Sorry for rambling! lol

Planning can be pretty stressful. You want to be sure you'r doing enough to get the material completed but not too much and wearing out your child(ren). I can tell you how I plan and then you can see if it helps you think of a way something would work for you!

I check to see how many lessons there are for each subject. You can do that by signing into the parent portion of Time4Learning and clicking on Lesson Plans. For me, I see that my 4th grader has 147 language arts lessons to do for the year. We school for 180 days (errr, or so) so I know that he needs to do one language arts lesson each day. He'll likely finish before the end of the year, but that's ok.

So at the beginning of the week, I print off a list I put together. It has a section for each day. Under the day of the week, I have a line for each subject. On the line, I write the lesson he needs to do for that day. For example, under Monday, Language Arts Extensions, my son will be doing the lesson Figure Me Out (metaphors and similes). When he completes the lesson, we highlight it and move on. I hope that makes some kind of sense. I keep his assignment sheets in a binder along with any other worksheets for that week.

It doesn't have to be stressful. He has a list of what he needs to complete for the week so you both know what the goals are for the school week. If he gets everything done, great! If not, pick up where you left off the following week. Read books, do projects and experiments, do some art! It's what you make it and it doesn't have to be complicated or overwhelming. Start small and slow. Add in what you can when you can. And don't sweat the co-op. If it doesn't work for you, that's ok. We don't participate in one. We've tried a few times but it just doesn't work for us. The boys take a weekly piano lesson and are in Cub Scouts. We're thinking about a homeschool karate class as well. So, we find ways to be involved and busy.

Has that helped at all??
    ~Nicole
    Army Family since 2003

Yes, Nicole, it does! It makes total sense and sounds a lot simpler than it sounds in my head....lol. Knowing the issues my son has, he's a mix of 1-2 grade on several things and maybe a small bit of 3rd mixed in. He is in 3rd grade in 'regular' school but is still working subjects (math, reading and writing) on a 1-2 grade level. I have not been happy about his being passed (although he is the oldest in his class due to late birthday) and he does have an IEP, BUT I am still baffled about he is suppose to 'catch up' in a regular school. It doesn't matter how many times or ways they explain it to me, it still doesn't make sense. I have even been told by a couple people in my districts dept. of ed that being a year or two behind in school is no big deal. How can it not be?!?! He WANTS to homeschool partly because he wants to be able to take breaks in between. This was very telling to me. He is not the happy child he use to be. I really appreciate your help Nicole!

I can't imagine how kids are supposed to just "catch up" in public school. My 4th grader is struggling a bit with Math, so I took his grade level down to 3rd and it's been much better for him, and for us as a homeschool. If he doesn't understand something, moving past it and hoping he'll catch up is not going to work. We just keep on working on it until he gets it. Fortunately, when we are the teacher as well as the mom, we have the opportunity to cater lessons to specific needs and approach them with care and concern. You'll find quickly what works and what doesn't. A helpful tip I've received is that if it doesn't work, don't use it. I know that seems silly and simplistic, but too often once we've spent the time or money on something, we don't want to abandon it ... even if it's not working. Fortunately, Time4Learning has been working for us for awhile. Thank goodness! I think I've tried about a dozen other things before!
    ~Nicole
    Army Family since 2003

Brook Simmons is offline Senior Member

Hello,
    I am not in NC but I use to be several years ago. I do remember that heat and getting sick and dehydrated every summer. I also took my kids to the park when I was there though. We would grab sticks and write in the playground gravel and other children would join us. We also spent lots of days at the local library. We did not own an air conditioner. At the time we did not own kindles but now if I were there I would put my kindle in a ziplock back slather myself with sun screen and read it in the pool or sprinkler.
    I understand what you mean about being overwhelmed I am planning on homeschooling my daughter next year our school year will start soon after her public school year ends. I have been looking at organizers and planners because I am cheap and want to make my own.
    Here is something I want you to think about that may help you ( because it helps me) When kids are in a classroom setting a teacher gets up and teaches 5 minutes giving an example by writing it up on the board or having the class interact with her to see if they understand it. The next hour that teacher is then organizing her time getting children on track or helping them do just that lesson. Now the smart teachers have different lessons set up in booths and the children can rotate when finished and when they finish all them can go sit in the reading corner. However this is very far between because it can be overwhelming for new teachers and there students will all be at different stages and some will never complete all the assignments. Especially the ones that need the extra attention. Now thats for a really smart teacher who can handle that lets think of the average teacher. One assignment at a time with 35 students in the class. Some kids will finish it no time and pick up there books or be a distraction to others. How many though will need that teachers time? I am not just meaning explaining but some kids need constant feedback or gratification and praise plus she still has to check to see if that child reading or goofing off actually finished or needs to be led back to there work. So what could of been a 15 minute assignment if the child was one on one actually takes up to an hour or an hour and a half so they have time to get to all of the students. 8 hours of instructions at school can usually take only 2 hours at home. This is how your child will catch up even if they are doing math a year behind.

Now Even though I stayed up all night looking at planners I did research on all the different schooling methods. The three that interested me the most were the ones that have no plans. Unschooling, Eclectic, and Montessori that are all child led by what works best for you and your child. One of them did not have routine at all except gentle encouragement by offering tons of things that would teach the child the subject. It does not have to be out of text book.
    Videos, games, apps, stories (books or audio), songs, acting/hands on, and movies/tv shows. I mention all these because even though you already know about them they can be done at anytime. Here is a secret, Shhh. *whispers*My daughter thinks they are a reward. Yep, even when she thinks YES I can finally watch t.v. on the net or YES, I get to play a game. Its all learning stuff. Why does that work for me? I got rid of everything that wasn't. There is no cable tv in my house. There is movies but they are rewards for chores and she gets to watch them in Spanish. She can watch cartoons when her work is done. its Cyberchase or some other PBS learning show. All this is why I do not worry about having a strict learning schedule just a time window she has to try her best in doing her school work. The work is set before her and she picks which ones she wants to get done. It does get hard though when she extra stubborn about not doing one subject for a long time though then motivational things get put in place like dinner being cold in the microwave waiting till its done or having dinner for breakfast because you did not have energy to do your work I guess I do not have to do mine type stuff comes into play.
    oh yah and your child does not have to do every single subject every single day. While looking at planners I noticed many parents only did core every day and all the other classes were as needed or fit in to what ever they were working on. One mom even made travel bags every night to teach her children in between driving destinations. She just put all the needed materials for that child in there bag and did not even teach them at home.I think the bagging system was her planner.