Question about EOG testing!!!
    momof3inNC is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Question about EOG testing!!!

I just started homeschooling my daughter and see that most testing needs to be ordered by Feb. Where do you go to order tests, do they have to be ordered in Feb., about what do the tests cost, can I give them at home, and do they have to be given in March or April? Several people have suggested that I give the CAT due to my daughter's autism and severe test anxiety. Does anyone have any recomendations? Thanks for any help and suggestions that can be given!

Horace Oakley Guest

You can test at home there are also test available online with immediate scoring, The test scores are not required by the dept of education,only verification that tests were administered,But scores are important to a students transcript in the event of applying for scholarships(colleges,universities and even joining the military). At the following link you can find some test vendors,but there are many others and cost vary vendor to vendor, hope this info helps http://www.ncdnpe.org/documents/HomeSchoolGuideBook.pdf

Nicole McGhee is offline Senior Member

MomOf3,You can order tests several different places. You need to decide if you want to administer a paper test or test online. And also which test you should administer. Since this is your first time testing, I also suggest using the CAT because it is a little bit easier. You do not have to order your test in February, nor are you required to administer it at any specific time. NCDNPE says you have to administer a standardized test yearly, but when exactly is at your discretion. You certainly can administer your test at home. Any paper or online test will have easy to follow, specific instructions that make it relatively easy to administer. We use the CAT and pay $25 for the test, so relatively inexpensive.You also do not have to submit your test scores to NCDNPE. They require that you administer the test and keep a record of it, should they ask for it at some point, but that's not necessarily a common scenario. You don't have to notify them regarding the test you chose to use, the scores, when you received it or when your daughter takes it. Also, transcript information isn't necessary until high school, but keeping test results for each year is a good idea.I hope that answered some of your questions, but please feel free to ask any additional questions you may have!
    ~Nicole
    Homeschooling My Three Sons
    5th Grade, 1st Grade, and a preschooler!
    Army Family since 2003

Nicole,
    Thank you so much for all the information! Starting in the middle of the year is a little overwhelming. We had to pull my autistic daughter out of school due to health reasons brought on by stress related to several situations at school. It's nice knowing there is somewhere to turn for help and support. Thanks again!

Angela~
    Momof3inNC

Thank you for the information. Don't know how far she'll go after 12th grade due to autism and seizures, but I want her to be able to do anything she sets her mind to. Thanks again!

Angela~
    Momof3inNC

*ashley* Guest

Quote Originally Posted by momof3inNC View Post
    Nicole,
    Thank you so much for all the information! Starting in the middle of the year is a little overwhelming. We had to pull my autistic daughter out of school due to health reasons brought on by stress related to several situations at school. It's nice knowing there is somewhere to turn for help and support. Thanks again!

Angela~
    Momof3inNC
    *Hi Angela,
    We just started homeschooling as well,I underestand how overwhelming it is.There was a point where my mind was consistantly running thinking homeschool.Eat,sleep,live thinking about it trying to make sure we had everything right before we started.I got all of my answers here,You've come to the right place(: Goodluck,You'll be fine.

thefamilyforrest is offline Junior Member Newbie

At what grade should they have to start testing? We just started this year with Kindergarten. So do we wait till second grade or what? Thanks!

Nicole McGhee is offline Senior Member

TheFamilyForrest,
    Since you don't legally need to notify NC until your child turns 7, then my assumption is that standardized testing isn't required until then. I have a Kindergartener and I will not be giving him a standardized test this year. He turns 7 next year (in the 1st grade) so he'll be tested in the spring of 2014 when his older brother is tested. Hope this helps!!
    ~Nicole
    Homeschooling My Three Sons
    5th Grade, 1st Grade, and a preschooler!
    Army Family since 2003

E's Mom Guest

Default Consider Woodcock Johnson for young or special needs children

We are finishing up our 1st year homeschooling, so I will admit that I am kind of new to this still. My daughter is 6 year old/1st grade. She went to public school kindergarten but didn't seem to make much progress over the year and teachers comments/evaluations didn't seem like they knew my child. They said she was pretty much on target across the board when in fact she was advanced in math, but behind in reading and writing. Since there was quite a discrepancy between where I thought she was and where her teacher said she was, I had her go ahead and take the Woodcock Johnson test during the summer as we were starting our homeschool.

The reason why I recommend the Woodcock Johnson over other tests is that it is given 1 on 1 by a trained test administrator. Unless it is specifically testing reading, the administrator reads the question allowed and show the written text and/or have a picture. This makes sure that reading problems do not skew test scores. Also since most of the time only one question is presented at a time it helps students focus and not get overwhelmed. Tests are typically given in the administrator's home at their kitchen table while you wait in the next room, so it is a homey atmosphere.

This test does cost a little more than the others, but I think it gives very good information. (I think I paid about $90.) You tell the test administrator which grade your child is in, so they know about where to start, but their test book covers all ages so they can go back or ahead as far as they need until they find where your child is. For my daughter it showed that somethings she performed like a kindergarten midway through the year and other things she performed like an 1st grader at the end of their school year would. At the end of the test the administrator was able to tally the results within a couple minutes and go over the results with me. She gave me some tips on what to work on for the lower scoring areas. This was included in the testing fee I paid. If you think you will need to talk at length with the administrator, some administrators offer lengthier consultation for a little more.

Having the detailed knowledge from the Woodcock Johnson helped me know where to focus my time. We still work on all subjects, but we spend much more time on the areas she struggles in.

Good Luck to all.
    E's mom