Questions about getting started...
    Unregistered Guest

Default Questions about getting started...

Hi, I have been considering homeschooling my son for a few months now. I like being able to be slightly flexible and knowing that he is safe. Other than just normal everyday school worries my son also has a severe peanut allergy and our county does not have peanut free schools. I am already stressing about him attending school and accidentally being given food that he can not have by either another student or a substitute. He is only 4 now and would start school next fall. Does anyone have any advice or recommendations on homeschooling curricumlum, websites, and just general information about getting started? I have started doing "school" with him daily. Right now it's only about 30-60 minutes at a times but I am gradually working him up to more so that he will be on a schedule.

Thanks for any information/advice!

Amanda

pandahoneybee is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Hi Amanda!

I suggest using T4L program, when I pulled my boys out of public school it is was I used!! It was so easy for them to get on and do their lessons. then I would make "unit study" ideas for them (for whatever extra they were interested in) Right now doing a snake on for my youngest!

Here are some links to help you navigate T4L:
    Hints and Helps

Getting Started Using Time4Learning

I also recommend looking over Time4Learning's free "Welcome to Homeschooling" guide for all new homeschoolers, for anyone who is just starting out.
    pandahoneybee
    My personal blog- Pandahoneybee's Homeschooling Adventure

karenhs2 is offline Member

Amanda, where are you located? One piece of getting started is meeting some other homeschoolers so that you are not going it all alone. Here are two sources to check:
    Regions - North Carolinians for Home Education
    Support Groups | HA-NC
    If you happen to be anywhere in the Charlotte Metro area, I can help a lot with that. I also do Getting Started workshops. You may find this website helpful for some basic info:
    www.CharlotteHomeschoolinfo.com

When you start homeschooling from the beginning as you are considering, you simply continue with what you are already doing and add to it as you go along. 30-60 minutes is plenty of time at this age and really at least through kindergarten. Remember that they do a lot of stuff beside "school" at school. Time spent actually learning can be documented in minutes. Homeschooling is one on one and a lot more efficient on top of that. One rule of thumb (and this is a very broad general rule just to give a starting point) is one hour per grade. This does not continue on indefinitely though - only to about 4th grade. Even most high schoolers can get their work done in about 4 hours a day unless they are doing an extremely demanding curriculum.

Time4learning is a very nice place to start. And if it works for your child, a great place to continue.

I think you are going to find that you enjoy the homeschooling. If I had a child with a severe allergy, I would not entrust them to an institution. My youngest has Asperger's and if I hadn't been homeschooling already, I would have started with him - different issue but same basic problem. When a child has very specific needs, it is unlikely that a school will be able to meet them consistently and in your case, the consequences of even one mishap are so great that it just isn't worth it.

I do better at answering specific questions so please continue to ask! Oh, one great website for little ones is this: Starfall's Learn to Read with phonics