Raleigh, NC Area 8-10th Grade Socialization Help Needed
    Chasity A is offline Junior Member

Question Raleigh, NC Area 8-10th Grade Socialization Help Needed

Hello! We are homeschooling a 14 year old boy in the Raleigh, NC area. We just moved to the area about 4 months ago.

We have tried several different avenues to find socialization opportunities in this area, but we have had little luck. My son is not into sports, he does rock climbing but it is not really team oriented.

I have Googled all sorts of search terms looking for clubs and groups for middle/high school aged kids. I am working on getting in touch with 4H. Almost every group I find stops at 6th grade (boy scouts/ theater /etc.).

We plan to send him to every camp we can in the summer, but we really need something sooner.

Does anyone have any suggestions or know of any groups for an 8th grader who is more scientific in nature? We are out of ideas.

Thanks for any help in advance.

Unregistered Guest

Default Re: Raleigh, NC Area 8-10th Grade Socialization Help Needed

We are in the Fayetteville area. I encourage you to look again at Boy Scouts. Boy Scouts begins in the 6th grade, not ends. Cub Scouts is for 1st-5th graders. I have an 8th grader and he really enjoys Scouting.

Strouse House is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Raleigh, NC Area 8-10th Grade Socialization Help Needed

Welcome to the Time4Learning forums. What a great idea to join scouts. We have a scout in our family and he done great.

You could ask this question over in the High School Forum and see if you can get more ideas.
    Brandy - Christian (86), Wife (93), and Mother (boy 99, girl 07,boy 08). Homeschooling since 2003. Come check out our adventures in life and Time4Learning.com at Five in Training For Him.