Scared Too Death
    Niklodean Guest

Default Scared Too Death

After 3 years of my son attending public school (former private school), I made up my mind this week to home school our son. He started middle school last year (5th grade) and between the bullying, bad language and behavior and spending 1/2 year reviewing from the past grade (and all of the worksheets) I was at my wits end. They definitely know my husband and I as we were always at the school. I have heard that NC is a home school friendly state. Besides a copy of my husband's high school diploma (or my GED and college transcripts) and Notice of Intent to Operate a Home School, do I need to do anything else? School starts on August 25th here. I am scared too death and panicking. I recently tested my son who is supposed to be going into the 6th grade and he is having problems with his 5th grade end of year math test I downloaded from Math Mammoth. Maybe he forgot some during the Summer. He was on the honor roll at school but bored. He also hasn't written any papers in school and only completed one science project since he left his private school in Virginia (2008). Can anyone help me? I tried to get him into a charter school but the closest one is 17 miles one way from our home. And he has 20+ children ahead of him. I taught him how to read, write and speak (LOL), so I hope I can home school him. Once again... HELP!!! Have a great day. Thank you.

pandahoneybee is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Hi Niklodean First of all, breathe..... again Sounds like the trouble I was having with my son minus the honor roll. He wasn't happy in school at all. I was so nervous at first as well and with two boys I thought that we would have trouble. I am happy to say I now have a 9th grader and a 4th grader, been doing this for 4 years now. Things go up and down and YES they do forget things over the summer, which is why I usually homeschool year round taking breaks when we need them. You don't need to do anything else until next year when you will have him tested either by yourself with the number of tests that are available or with a licensed administrator of testing (like Woodcock Johnson test) We used Time4Writing our first year and a couple times since then to give the boys a leg up on writing. We also have been using Time4Learning since the beginning as well along with unit studies or literature based lessons. You can do homeschooling I have no doubt! I would start slow, maybe join Time4Learning and see how he does, then slowly add in other things that you see that he needs or wants to learn about. Don't rush too fast into adding a ton of things, otherwise you both will go crazy! BELIEVE I did that thinking that my homeschooling was supposed to be an 8 hour day and resemble the school room. BUT you both now will have the freedom to study the basics in your own way and who knows maybe he will get really interested in something and take off! My oldest is into designing video levels and volunteering at a local animal shelter and zoo. The sky is the limit!
    pandahoneybee
    My personal blog- Pandahoneybee's Homeschooling Adventure

karenhs2 is offline Member

You are going to do GREAT!! AT home, you can start where HE needs to start - forget about the grade. Homeschooling is a lot more efficient and he will be able to work at his own pace. You are likely to be amazed by his progress. Not that it will all be simple and easy, it is a big transition so give yourselves plenty of room and grace for that. You are no longer tied to the school schedule so it doesn't matter when school is starting, you can start when you are ready.

Where are you located? It is really nice to have some face to face support when you are homeschooling through many do it just with online support.

sixpackbrat Guest

Default scared to death

Hi Niklodean
    I am new to homeschooling as well. Regarding how fast you can get registered, it is pretty fast. I was worried it would take a long time as I just did it on Fri(filled out online registration and sent copy of College degree) and got my confirmation back on Mon(8-22)morning! All you need to do is register online and fax copy of your college degree. They don't need copy of GED if you have college degree. If you register online and fax your degree same day, you will get response in 2-3 days. It says on their website 5 days and 10 days in July and August and I was worried because school starts the 25th but I am all set! I have faith we will both do great! Good luck to you!

sixpackbrat is offline Junior Member Newbie

I don't know where else to post this, but I got a call from my son's middle school saying that he is being marked absent. I called and the lady said that I have to bring in a paper or confirmation from the non public education to verify that he is being homeschooled! Has anyone else had this happen? She said "It's nice to for US to know where he is" I said who is us. I live in Iredell county. Thoughts? Thanks

Rooney Academy Guest

Default Don't be scared!

This is new for me too! I just signed my daughter up, got the state certification process done and wasn't sure what to do next. So far, this is day 2 for us. And it's working! The old school schedule thing is gone. She's on her time and I can tell when she needs a break, and I give it to her. She had a longer day today but it was still incredibly productive. She's learned more in these 2 days with homeschool than probably 2 weeks of public school teaching! So my fear is subsiding and I have a totally different child. I know she feels incredibly better than she did last year. She was bored to death in public school. She did not want any part of a middle school uniform, the kids are bullies and they are getting more and more rude every year. So take a deep breath and enjoy the results. You're gonna be fine. I really feel like I am finally doing the best thing for my oldest daughter. The only thing I'm kicking myself for is that I didn't do this from the beginning! How much smarter would she have been if I hadn't just dumped her in public school where she wasted so many years. I just never realized this would actually work. Duh on me huh!!? lol! All I have to nail down is the involvement with other kids. My daughter would gladly retreat to a completely reclusive life. I can't allow that. She's only 11 and needs to be out and about per se. But from what I'm hearing there are a lot of support groups in the area and a group that gets together in Rowan county (where we are). So, so far, so good! best of luck to all! I haven't had anybody call me to say my daughter is being marked as absent. I do think I might have seen somewhere we will have to account for the time spent school, grades and things. It might have to report to a local system, but I'm not 100% sure on that. I'll keep digging for info and see what I can come up with. I was wondering if there is a requirement of a certain number of hours a child has to spend each day. yesterday we did about 3 hours. today we did about 4 1/2 to 5. If anyone out there knows the answer to that question, let me know. And I'll keep looking for answers about a local school system having the right to our records and needing us to be accountable to them! I'll keep you posted on what I find!!

Niklodean Guest

Red face Scared To Death 2

Hi Everyone!

My son cleaned out his locker this afternoon. He started on Language Arts this afternoon, just to get started and get a feel for it. I just read your responses and it is putting me at ease. Thanks. Do I need to send the principal a letter informing her that I am home schooling (so he won't be marked as absent)? Should I include a copy of my "Letter of Intent"? My son ordered and paid for a book from the Book Fair and it is coming in next week. Also, he made pottery in Art Class and the teacher stated that it isn't ready yet.... so we have a couple of loose ends to tidy up.

I am also starting him off on T4L. I am ready to plow through his chapters (I know... slow down). My question is how long do you spend on each chapter in, say, Language Arts? He read 2 chapters in LA ("Growing Up In Coal Country") and did the online questions and I printed off most of the worksheets (I know, slow down). Should that maybe take a week to finish. Just a general time line. I know everyone is different. I understand about the lesson plans per week as I did the figuring and it comes out to 3 LA, 3 LA Ext, 7 Math, 2 Science and 3 Soc Studies per day... but is there any formula to figure out if we are "up to speed"? I know, relax. I will probably supplement Math with Khan Academy. Add some History via videos on History.com and provide plenty of reading time. Also, I want him to exercise every day. If not outside, at least dancing and/or running around inside. He already completed his 9 weeks of PE/Health so in public school, he had no more exercising activities the rest of the year... not even recess. And they wonder why children are overweight and not able to concentrate.

Oh, by the way... I am in Johnston County in a little town called Benson. Since I decided to home school... one other friend is starting to home school her daughter on Monday (11/14). And I have met 2 ladies at church who have been home schooling their children from day one. I am going to get pointers from them, too. Thanks for the encouragement as there is so much negativity about this subject.

karenhs2 is offline Member

You sound like you are doing GREAT! Really. You have loose ends to tie up, you are getting a feel for the curriculum and you are seeking out homeschooling friends. All just what you need to be doing!!

What the principal needs is a copy of the email confirmation that you received back from NCDNPE telling you that your home school is now open. It should prevent any further issues there or your son being marked absent.

Check these links for potential groups near you:

Region 10 - North Carolinians for Home Education

Also:
    secular_homeschoolers_NC : Secular Homeschoolers of North Carolina

Check out all the groups - you don't always know where you will fit in best by looking at websites. Also, keep track of anyone that you click with. Sometimes just having your own little circle of homeschool friends works best. And network!! I found a best friend for my teen through another friend. Our girls didn't click and her dd didn't click with a 3rd friend but she introduced the two of us and we did and our girls did (which is really nice). Remember that homeschooling is a grapevine and you seldom find out about all the opportunities available at one time.

JoCoMom2Nate is offline Junior Member Newbie

I'm in the same situation you were this time last year. I also live in Benson, I am pulling my son out of Benson Middle just as soon as I get my email confirmation - I sent my form in online on Friday and faxed my diploma. I hope I get my confirmation soon, my son is having so much trouble and I don't want him to spend even 1 more day there! He was suspended Friday, they are out tomorrow, and he has ISS Tuesday and Wednesday but I really don't think I will send him. I was wondering if you are still on this forum, and how homeschool is going for you, and what HS groups are active? I have sent in my membership info for JCHE but I've not gotten a reply or been given access to their forum. This is the most stressful decision I've made in a long time! He was very upset when I told him I was going to homeschool him but he's warming up to the idea. Thanks for any advice/help!