so where do I start
    wendy is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default so where do I start

Okayy I think I'm ready.Where do I start with my 2 kids?Do I have to write the state?If so how long after doing that can I withdraw them from public school?Will they have to go to the public school to test durning any of this time?Will I get visits from the state?Should I give my homeschool name my daycare name?I 'm just un sure what to do.I live in Sanford NC. So I know the laws are different in every start.Help plz

pandahoneybee is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Default Re: so where do I start

Hi Wendy-

If your child is seven, but not yet sixteen, or sixteen and over and planning to drive, you will need to file with the state a "Notice of Intent to Operate a School." Contact the Division of Non-Public Education (DNPE) and request a homeschool packet or download it from the DNPE website. You will also need to locate your high school or college diploma, or an equivalent(you must have I believe just a certified copy of it as proof that you graduated HS.). When the form is filed, DNPE will send a postcard to acknowledge its receipt. It is important to keep this card. You are now in compliance with the law. This is a orange post card that will not be reissued so keep it somewhere you know where it is. Mine is on my wall in our schoolroom(living room) also helpful if you shrink down your orange card(credit card size) like at Kinkos and laminate it, this will be proof that you homeschool at places that give discounts, ( Borders,barnes and Noble, etc)

Here is the website to go to :

Department of Administration
    Rod Helder, Director
    NC Division of Non-Public Education
    1309 Mail Service Center
    Raleigh, NC 27699-1309
    (919) 733-4276

The card comes pretty fast from what I remember, and you will also have to give notice by simply writing a letter to your child school to let them know that you are going to be homeschooling. Then you can withdraw your kids from their current school.

They do need to be tested if they are 7 by the end of the school year and there are several independent testers here in the triangle area that must be done by the end of the school year. The state website suggests Jan but we always do ours April or May. We gave our school our last name and then school behind it even though they suggest doing another name just easier to remember. But whatever name you give at the time will be the name you have until you stop homeschooling they don't allow name changes (at least thats what they told me).

Couple more things, unless someone reports you more than likely you will not receive a visit from the state. If that does happen (which hasn't to anyone I know) you need to show shots records, attendence (form from state website download and print for each child) , your orange card and your end of the years tests. You are not required to show them anything else is the advice that I have gotten from veteran homeschoolers in my support group.

Ok I think that was all you really needed to get started, if you need any help with anything else just reply to this post and i will respond asap. And don't worry it is scary at first to think that you are going to be doing something that isn't main stream but I have two very happy boys that love to learn again as proof that it works.

Best Wishes
    Michelle
    pandahoneybee
    My personal blog- Pandahoneybee's Homeschooling Adventure

pandahoneybee is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Default Re: so where do I start

hi again Wendy

I found this group that says they help support homeschoolers in your area, let me know if they contact you back or not.

http://chesgroup.org

thanks
    Michelle
    pandahoneybee
    My personal blog- Pandahoneybee's Homeschooling Adventure