are state EOG's required?
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By pandahoneybee
  • 1 Post By karenhs2

Thread: are state EOG's required?

mxmomof3 Guest

Question are state EOG's required?

I'm thinking about homeschooling my son for next year's school year. He has an IEP now, but I think that homeschooling would help with more one on one instruction rather than 25 kids in a class. Are NC state EOG's required? I don't mind making him take them but I was just wanting to make sure I cover all my basis with the NC school boards.

Brook Simmons is offline Senior Member

Testing is required Federally 3rd grade and up.

Accountability Services

pandahoneybee is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

yes testing is required BUT you can use any test that meets NC requirements to test your son. I personally have used the WoodCock Johnson tests for 5 years now and it is a great test for my ADHD son and younger son. (oldest also had an IEP in school)
    RAJ likes this.
    pandahoneybee
    My personal blog- Pandahoneybee's Homeschooling Adventure

karenhs2 is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by mxmomof3 View Post
    I'm thinking about homeschooling my son for next year's school year. He has an IEP now, but I think that homeschooling would help with more one on one instruction rather than 25 kids in a class. Are NC state EOG's required? I don't mind making him take them but I was just wanting to make sure I cover all my basis with the NC school boards.
    Home schools do not do EOGs.

We do test with a nationally normed standardized achievement test like the CAT:
    Seton Testing Services

The Woodcock Johnson already mentioned is another good test. It is not a bubble test and can show if they are at different levels in different subjects.

The critical point to note about testing is that homeschooled student do not have to meet any minimum scores on the tests. We simply have to have them tested. That is all.

Once you take him out, you will not be under the school boards at all. Home schools are like little tiny private schools in NC and we are under the NC Dept of Non-Public Education.
    Home School Information

You may qualify for a tax credit for some of your materials if you take him out and he has had an IEP. Please check the links here:
    Tax Credits for Children with Disabilities: NC House Bill 344 « Autism Society of North Carolina Blog
    House Bill 344 Education Tax Credit

My youngest is on the spectrum and YES, one on one instruction works better for the majority of children with special needs, no matter what the need is if you can do it. There are fewer distractions and you have so much more flexibility to make accommodations. Like doing work in short bursts with lots of physical activity in between for those with ADHD as one example.
    RAJ likes this.

pandahoneybee is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

thanks for answering Karen!!
    pandahoneybee
    My personal blog- Pandahoneybee's Homeschooling Adventure