Thinking of homeschooling.
    Unregistered Guest

Talking Thinking of homeschooling.

Hello everyone. My son is in 7th grade. We have had a major issue with the school and I want him out a.s.a.p. I have no clue where to start. I've read the links on here about getting the paper but what else do I need to do? How much does it cost to homeschool? I've seen some people talk about how it is really expensive to homeschool. We live in Jacksonville, NC and I am just at a lost as to what to do and as quickly as possible.

Nicole McGhee is offline Senior Member

Hello Guest!

It doesn't cost anything to homeschool. Here are North Carolina's Homeschool laws:

• Notify the Department of Administration, Division of Non-Public Education of your intent to operate a school and include your school name, and name of chief administrator.
    • Certify that the persons providing the academic instruction hold at least a high school diploma or its equivalent.
    • Maintain attendance records on each student.
    • Maintain immunization records on each student.
    • Operate on a regular schedule, excluding reasonable holidays and vacations, during at least nine calendar months of the year.
    • Administer a nationally standardized test, or other equivalent measurement, that measures achievement in the areas of English grammar, reading, spelling, and math, to every student each year, and maintain the results on file for one year, subject to inspection by a duly authorized representative of the State.
    • Notify the Department of Administration, Division of Non-Public Education, when closing your school.

After you notify the state with the required information you get started homeschooling!
    ~Nicole
    Homeschooling My Three Sons
    5th Grade, 1st Grade, and a preschooler!
    Army Family since 2003