Thinking of Moving To NC and Homeschooling
    rebelstand is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Thinking of Moving To NC and Homeschooling

Hi All,
    we are planning on relocating to the Asheville area of NC. We are looking into homeschooling laws there. We are coming from TX where there is little to nothing to worry about (although I have kept meticulous records). I can't seem to find anything specific on attendance or hours a day in school. Also we have just found T4L, we have used Sonlight for the last two years, how does the T4L reporting work well within the NC Homeschooling Laws?

Are there things I should know beyond what is readily available online?
    thanks,
    Nicki

Nicole McGhee is offline Senior Member

Nicki,

Well, welcome in advance to North Carolina! Homeschooling here is pretty easy. You are required to notify the state and keep some records ON FILE (not submit them unless specifically asked, though I don't know of anyone that has been asked for them). You need to keep your attendance records and operate a "typical school schedule at least 9 months of the year." You also need to keep updated immunization records on file and once per year administer (or have administered) a standardized test, the results of which you keep on file. Notify the state if you decide to no longer homeschool. I think that about covers the requirements here in NC. You could definitely check out the North Carolina Division of Non-Public Education for further information.
    ~Nicole
    Homeschooling My Three Sons
    5th Grade, 1st Grade, and a preschooler!
    Army Family since 2003

Thanks Nicole.

What exactly is a typical school schedule? Monday-Friday? Is it ok to start school early to enable us to take a two week vacation?

You can start and end school as you see fit. We start our school schedule when it works for us and allows us to take time off for vacation during the "regular" school year.
    ~Nicole
    Army Family since 2003

We have just started school. A few weeks early to allow for a fall vacation and perhaps a spring one. Thanks for replying!

I hope you have an awesome school year! I definitely think starting early and allowing for some time off is a great idea. It gives you a chance to take a breath and rework plans if you need to do so. Happy Homeschooling!
    ~Nicole
    Army Family since 2003