Welcome to my North Carolina Homeschool Online Support Group
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Welcome to my North Carolina Homeschool Online Support Group

pandahoneybee is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Default Welcome to my North Carolina Homeschool Online Support Group

Welcome to a great way for parents to reach out for support. Homeschooling is such a great journey so why go at it alone? Please feel free to ask and post anything that you want. If I don't know the answer, I will try and find it for you! There are a alot of great homeschooling veterans that love to share their mistakes and triumphs but if you don't ask you can't find out!

If you are new to homeschooling please check out North Carolina Homeschooling Information Page there is alot of information on there that might help.

Have a wonderful day and enjoy those kids!
    Last edited by pandahoneybee; 01-29-2010 at 05:35 AM.
    C.Lorraine likes this.
    pandahoneybee
    My personal blog- Pandahoneybee's Homeschooling Adventure

Jeannie Guest

Exclamation Local school district has gone to the dogs, interested in homeschooling

Hi,

My daughter is in 6th grade at a middle school in the Charlotte-Mecklenburg School District, and although she is quite bright, she is failing. I am at my wit's end on what to do. She has been bullied and threatened for money (which the school did address), she has gotten to where she hates going to school because of being picked on, and the communication situation with her teachers seems to be next to impossible. They are so overworked that you usually don't get a return call or email from them for a week, God forbid a counseling appointment. Now, CMS is talking about cutting 800 teachers and increasing class sizes even more...and I feel that the students don't get enough attention as it is now.

Here we are in 3rd quarter, and my daughter is going to fail math. If she fails math, she fails 6th grade. It isn't that she doesn't understand it, because when we sit down with her to do it, she usually does it with only minimal questions. I find that her teacher doesn't answer any questions she has (and my daughter is the shy type), and I just feel like we are getting nowhere with this. In addition to this, my daughter does occasionally forget to turn in homework or assignments, even when we know she has done them...and I feel she is so discouraged because of the apparent apathy of the teachers that perhaps she has just lost interest or doesn't care.

I would like to start homeschooling her, but should I let her finish out the school year and go ahead and fail, or would it be possible to get signed up to home school, work with her myself on curriculum, and improve her chances of staying on her grade level? I am employed full-time, but I work from my home office and my schedule is extremely flexible. I have my BS in Business Admin/Organizational Psych and Development, and I am currently working toward my MBA in Business / Healthcare Management. I feel that I can do this, but I am nervous about how to go about the whole process. I know I have to register with intent to homeschool...and then I have to notify the school...but at that point can I pull her out and start homeschooling? I need all the advice and help I can get.

Of note, I also have a 14-year-old daughter who is gifted and is extremely bored with the high school curriculum at her CMS high school...so I am considering homeschooling her, as well.

I am just so tired of the negative attitudes of overworked teachers, the lack of advice or input they can give me to help...but I can't afford 1400 a month to put my 2 kids in private school. I am desperate for some advice here, so I hope someone can help me figure out how to get started once I get past the registration of intent process.

I would love to speak with someone on the phone, if someone could talk to me. My private email is [email protected] if there is someone who can provide some guidance, because I am desperate to get my kids out of the "public school mill" and have them actually LEARNING something instead of having to defend themselves from bullying and harassment on a daily basis, not to mention the lack of one-on-one help.

Thank you so much,

Jeannie Bohn
    Huntersville, NC

Blog Entries

Hi Jeannie~
    Welcome to the other side! First let me show you some of the links that we have to help with some of your questions, NC home page and the Guide to Homeschooling are helpful to look over.

Before beginning homeschooling, you must notify the North Carolina Division of Non-Public Education of your intent to homeschool. You must obtain, from that office, and complete the form "Notice of Intent to Operate a School in North Carolina." Attach photocopies of documentation that you, as the home school teacher, hold at least a high school diploma or its equivalent.
    Usually it takes a week or so to get the card from the state . Then you can pull your child out at any time after that and I would suggest giving a copy of your letter of intent to the school she goes to also so that you can get a copy of her school records for your own records. Very helpful when trying to find curriculum and were she is right now. I found out from volunteering and talking with other moms who used to be teachers that your child gets about 10 minutes at the most of one on one time with teachers per day. Another interesting fact from the teachers is that they have about 15 minutes per hour of teaching the students.

We had the same problems with my oldest son plus we had moved around alot and found that all the schools he had been to (in diff states) had taught differently and so he was really missing some gaps especially in math!
    I pulled him out after 5th grade and it was a year of hell for him, he came to the car almost everyday and burst into tears. He was like your daughter a little shy and wouldn't tell anyone that he was being bullied until he
    came home and felt safe. The teachers are of no help, most have their hearts in the right place but are too tired or like you said have given up . But you know what now after two years he is happy and likes to learn again!

YOU ARE NOT ALONE! PLease let us know if you need more information!
    pandahoneybee

Angela101 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by pandahoneybee View Post
    Welcome to a great way for parents to reach out for support. Homeschooling is such a great journey so why go at it alone? Please feel free to ask and post anything that you want. If I don't know the answer, I will try and find it for you! There are a alot of great homeschooling veterans that love to share their mistakes and triumphs but if you don't ask you can't find out!

If you are new to homeschooling please check out North Carolina Homeschooling Information Page there is alot of information on there that might help.

Have a wonderful day and enjoy those kids!
    Hi, I just started homeschooling not that long ago and I have 1 child that's in the 5th grade right now that strugles with spelling and reading. I would like to get any and all help with the BEST way to help him. The school he was in was suppose to have took him out of his regular classes only with those subjects to help him more one on one but they weren't doing that. When they were doing that it helped him SO much. I was already helping him at home as much as I could but it was hard because I didn't know everything they were working on and of course I couldn't go to school every day to help him. His problem is with even just spelling words that they taught him even in the earlier grades and even the words he could spell correctly THEN he seems to have forgotten how they're spelled now, he also struggles with sounding out words even when I help him sound them out. He doesn't like reading at all so that's a big part of it but he just seems to struggle with understanding and remembering those types of things. He's the brightest in math & science is not too bad either. I took him out though because I felt like I could help him more since I can spend all day with him and it would be one on one since they weren't taking him out like he needed. I just didn't know if anyone had any advice for me to help a child that struggles with spelling, sounding out words better, remembering vocabulary, and learn to enjoy reading more. Thanks, Angela

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Angela101 View Post
    Hi, I just started homeschooling not that long ago and I have 1 child that's in the 5th grade right now that strugles with spelling and reading. I would like to get any and all help with the BEST way to help him. The school he was in was suppose to have took him out of his regular classes only with those subjects to help him more one on one but they weren't doing that. When they were doing that it helped him SO much. I was already helping him at home as much as I could but it was hard because I didn't know everything they were working on and of course I couldn't go to school every day to help him. His problem is with even just spelling words that they taught him even in the earlier grades and even the words he could spell correctly THEN he seems to have forgotten how they're spelled now, he also struggles with sounding out words even when I help him sound them out. He doesn't like reading at all so that's a big part of it but he just seems to struggle with understanding and remembering those types of things. He's the brightest in math & science is not too bad either. I took him out though because I felt like I could help him more since I can spend all day with him and it would be one on one since they weren't taking him out like he needed. I just didn't know if anyone had any advice for me to help a child that struggles with spelling, sounding out words better, remembering vocabulary, and learn to enjoy reading more. Thanks, Angela
    Welcome Angela Your story is so similar to my story with my oldest! We pulled him out after 5th grade to homeschool him. I know the pain of helping out with the school work and teaching after school and weekends. WE DID IT for 6 years, it took him 3 to 4 times longer than the teacher said it should! He was always feeling down on himself because he was trying! But none of us were teaching to him in a way that he could HOLD onto in his mind.

Have you considered at all joining Time4learning? (even if you are not going to homeschooling him, just for something different for him to try) The reason why I ask is because when i first started homeschooling it was of the first things that my son enjoyed to learn from! He is a visual learner who was labeled with learning disabilities in public school. We are now just starting to realize that he may have dyslexia which causes learning delays. When I pulled him from the system we knew that there were learning gaps and yes spelling is one of our biggies in my house! SO i signed him up for the 3rd grade level and we went thru most of it together and he flew past all the lessons, then we went up from there!

Reading that's a problem we had as well, let me tell you what we did and maybe it will work for your family as well. First find books that are his current reading level or a little above. Then you need to find out what types of stories he likes, ours was fantasy. We started Pokemon readers, he was totally into that and the Warriors series (cat character books). Then I would read the chapter or set amount of pages first (because if i let him do it first and he got to a word he didn't know he would just make it up what he thought it was! and forever afterwords that would be how he pronounced that word OF COURSE that didn't' apply to the pokemon names,LOL) then he would read aloud to me that same chapter. After about a month or so when he got comfortable reading to me I would let him just read the chapters and now he reads all the time. He loves to read but in my case i had to let him see that it was ok to struggle with words( I have the same problem sometimes) something that he got made fun of in school. So first find a book that you think he would like and get him engaged into the story

Spelling is another area that once he loves to read may or may not get better. I found that my son can always read the word a million times BUT ask him to spell it is just a task that he usually can not do! Here are a couple of things we are still doing and yes I am seeing improvement every year. We do All About Spelling and Sequential Spelling, from those I pick words from there and from their lessons to make up a spelling and vocabulary list. The site I use to help them play games with their spelling list is Spelling & Vocabulary Website: SpellingCity we started out with the free membership but now are loving the premium membership!

I hope that some of this helps
    pandahoneybee

Caila611 is offline Junior Member Newbie

Hello there,

I have a daughter with special needs. She deals with Central auditory processing disorder, ADD, and language expressive disorder. She just failed the 8th grade even after numerous attempts to get her help where she needed it. I got no responses from most teachers and no help from counselors. Every day she would call home because she didn't "feel well" . The more ahead the class got the more confused and lost she got. And she is not one to ask for help nor can she get her point across very well due to her challenges. So when I asked her what she wanted to get out of school she cried and said nothing. I'm not smart enough. It broke my heart. She won't say it but I think her peers have been making fun of her causing her to withdrawl and not want to be there. When I brought up the possibility of home schooling her you could just see the relief in her face. She didn't have to say a word. I know this is what we need to do.

I noticed that T4L doesn't not have science and SS in 8th grade. What curriculum do others use for those classes. What would be good for a child with these challenges?

Blog Entries

Hi Caila611! I am so sorry for the trouble that your daughter is having, my son went thru the 5th grade with the same feelings, getting further behind and crying when he would get into the car! I hated to send him everyday so I finally decided to homeschool him instead and his little brother! He has ADHD and learning disabilities as well so I know how bad it is for the parent to feel like you just can't help them! BUT I have learned that he is so smart and now he knows it too! It was really hard in the beginning to get him to feel good about himself with all the negative feelings he had while he was in school. The schools basically just kept passing him when he would almost get grade level on their EOGs! But they had prepped him since Jan every year for a test in MAY! Anyways, enough of my rants heeh

Now T4L learning does have activities/lessons for social studies and science for the upper level granted, did you have a chance to go in and look yourself or was this something that you were told? What I did to supplement T4L's science and SS was to let my son (who is finishing his 8th grade year now) pick what extra areas he wanted to study further. Like for SS he LOVES Egypt so we went crazy with that almost all year and for science he loves experiments and animals so we did several unit studies on animals and he also does Supercharged Science which gives him all the fun experiments he could ever want and they usually follow what he is reading about on T4L!

Feel free to ask anything else that you might think of and I will do my best to answer your questions or direct you in the right direction
    pandahoneybee

adevine is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default New to Homeschooling

I am planning to homeschool my daughter this fall. She will be 6 in August, completed Kindergarten in public school this past year, so we are entering into 1st grade. If she is not yet 7, but has already completed Kindergarten, do I need to notify the state and do a letter of intent? or do I wait until next year to do so? Wasn't sure by reading the State info if this was necessary due to the fact she was already in school...

Thank you, Mandy

Blog Entries

Hi Mandy!
    The way I read the law you don't have to notify them until she turns seven or next year.
    Requirements
    Parents/guardians residing in North Carolina and desiring, in lieu of conventional school attendance, to home school their children who are at least age 7 but not yet age 16 must: from DNPE Home School Requirements, Reminders and Recommendations

I hope that this helps
    pandahoneybee

mom2addy is offline Junior Member Newbie

Hi! I am a mom of three, but only one in school right now. This is our second year homeschooling. My daughter got a great start at a private Christian school for K-4th. 5th grade last year was ok, but with two young ones at home (one with special needs), it got to be too much for me. She did great though, her end of grade tests put her at middle and high school levels. I signed her up for time4learning for 6th grade. It is our first time with an online course. We are a NC family and hope this will be what our family needs. I just wanted to say HI!!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast