When to test?
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By rockridgegal
  • 1 Post By Unregistered

Thread: When to test?

Unregistered Guest

Default When to test?

I am the parent of a struggling first grader. I am very unhappy with my child's experience at a new school this year and realize I need to homeschool to meet my child's needs.

I have debated all year and regret not pulling my child out of school sooner. Now I am searching for the best plan of how and when.

I know that I can catch my child up with the many resources out there and by more one on one time. I tried giving this teacher plenty of time but I am unhappy with the results and where the relationship has gone.

I do not know what is best as far as testing? I understand that your child must test by their 8th birthday and within 12 months of starting homeschool. I don't think my child is ready to test this spring but their birthday is in the fall.

Basically can I homeschool my child now and hold off to test as long as it is before they turn 8 and advance them to second grade next school year at home if I feel they are ready?

pandahoneybee is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

I believe that testing must be done, it does not matter if they pass or fail the test. MOST of the homeschool tests are not pass or fail they just let you know where your child is grade level wise. Check out our NC resource page for helpful links to homeschooling in NC, also there is a free Guide to Homeschooling (PDF) that I always recommend to anyone who is just starting out Please feel free to ask any other questions that you might have I will do my best to answer them!!
    pandahoneybee
    My personal blog- Pandahoneybee's Homeschooling Adventure

karenhs2 is offline Member

Yes, like pandahoneybee said, homeschool testing is not pass or fail and has nothing at all to do with whether or not they advance to the next grade. In fact, grades don't necessarily apply to hsers though it is usually convenient to keep using them. Homeschool testing is really nothing but a state requirement that you need to fulfill to stay legal. You can advance your child to the next grade whenever you think they are ready, middle of the year even.

rockridgegal is offline Junior Member

I am soooo with you on this !!!! I was in your same shoes when my son needed to be pulled from kindergarden and I started schooling him last year with 1st grade and did the best I could as a first year Mom and you know ..... it was ok .....!!!!! I had struggles and did not know where to start or where to go. I did not test him before I started but I did test in April after having a year under my belt and found that he was still below grade level and I simply congratulated him on his test. I did change my methods and after a while found what worked to him was a different program!!! I am not using that program this year as much as I using T4L and he prefers T4L instead !!! HE LOVES IT !!!! After having a struggling 2 years of homeschooling to find where he was and what to teacha nd how to teach it I can't wait to see the scores after doing T4L . I test in my local area of Wilson and am very pleased with the results and the test itself. I would just go with your gut ..... Mothers intuition is ALWAYS right !!!!

I wish you luck on this AWESOME journey !!! You will love watching your child grow and knowing that YOU had a large part of that growth .....

Kim
    rockridgegal
    RAJ likes this.

pandahoneybee is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rockridgegal View Post
    I am soooo with you on this !!!! I was in your same shoes when my son needed to be pulled from kindergarden and I started schooling him last year with 1st grade and did the best I could as a first year Mom and you know ..... it was ok .....!!!!! I had struggles and did not know where to start or where to go. I did not test him before I started but I did test in April after having a year under my belt and found that he was still below grade level and I simply congratulated him on his test. I did change my methods and after a while found what worked to him was a different program!!! I am not using that program this year as much as I using T4L and he prefers T4L instead !!! HE LOVES IT !!!! After having a struggling 2 years of homeschooling to find where he was and what to teacha nd how to teach it I can't wait to see the scores after doing T4L . I test in my local area of Wilson and am very pleased with the results and the test itself. I would just go with your gut ..... Mothers intuition is ALWAYS right !!!!

I wish you luck on this AWESOME journey !!! You will love watching your child grow and knowing that YOU had a large part of that growth .....

Kim
    rockridgegal
    Kim
    I can tell you when I pulled my boys out my oldest was behind big time!! even though spelling and writing is still a struggle for us he is now up to grade level. And with my youngest I was told by his kindergarten teacher that he was just average. BUT our first year of homeschooling I used mainly T4L and did unit studies for things that interested him. His tests showed that he was 2 grades ahead in English and 3 in MATH!! I can't say enough about how T4L has helped our family!

Happy Homeschooling!
    pandahoneybee
    My personal blog- Pandahoneybee's Homeschooling Adventure

Unregistered Guest

Thank you so much! I really cannot wait to get started! This year has been a new journey exploring what works for my child! I cannot wait to homeschool! I'm definitely leaning towards T4L as an after school tool while I get things in order. I appreciate your help and advice! It's nice knowing we are not alone!
    RAJ likes this.