Are you a member of any local home schooling support groups?
    pandahoneybee is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Default Are you a member of any local home schooling support groups?

Hello everyone-

I hope that your school year is going great this year, ours is very busy with all the extra holiday
    things that we are doing both with our homeschooling group and thru local stores.

I just wanted to take a couple of minutes to see how many of you have a support system in your areas? I don't think that I could have made it thru the first year without the vast knowledge and experience that they were always willing to share with me.

We still have times when I reach out to the members of my support group for help on something especially with my oldest. I still struggle when we add something new to our schedule to make it work and sometimes it doesn't fit in.

How do you all make it work? Do you have a local support system, homeschooling group, church group or some other support group?

Please post any responses it really helps everyone to hear your experiences so they feel that they are not alone in this wonderful process of teaching our children.

Have a great Holiday season
    Michelle
    pandahoneybee
    My personal blog- Pandahoneybee's Homeschooling Adventure

N2aGR8God is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Re: Are you a member of any local home schooling support groups?

I'm still searching for a "good" support group. I don't even know where to begin except that I would like to be affiliated with a Christian group in Fayetteville, NC. I will be starting my maiden voyage in Januray ( 1/2 way through the school year.) I hope I didn't bite off more than I can chew. Just one year ago I was finishing my 21 year career in the AF and now I'll be homeschooling. I know I can do a better job than most of the teachers my ADHD son has had. I'm so frustrated with the school system I really feel like he's a child left behind.

pandahoneybee is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Are you a member of any local home schooling support groups?

I know what you mean, I also have a ADHD son that was definitely left behind, also the reason I pulled him out after 5th grade.
    He was so far behind everyone that it hurt when I would volunteer in his class and see how he was struggling to keep up.

But Congrats on deciding what will be the most rewarding job you will have, I my opinion anyways. There will be days of why am I doing this
    but as your son learns something and retains it you will know that the hard days are worth it.

First I think that you should take a deep breathe it will be overwhelming at first but that passes with help of a support group. I think that there might be at least one support group on my resource forum post that is near you. Even if it is not what you are looking for they will probably know of other groups around you. I suggest getting register with them as soon as you find one that you feel fits with your views on education,religion etc.

Also something that I was told when I pulled out my boys was try to unschool them for a bit the theory goes 1 month for every year they were in traditional school.
    I being too scared to allow them that much time off allowed one month of strictly time4learning and field trips. Alot of the museums offer classes as well as some colleges for homeschoolers. Also our town has a parks and rec so we had art,nature and alot of community things to pick from as well. I of course did the month off after struggling for several months of worksheets and buying anything that looked interesting but after the month of unschooling I got my bearings and took it slow adding things to our schedule. With two days a week are half days having what I consider gym days with Game day at a local community center and Park day at different parks in our area.

Now with my son I started time4learning first and added to it, the cartoon like lessons keep him engaged. I tried alot of worksheets also at first buying over 10 and pulling from them until I realized that he was taking all day and not retaining anything. So again I started slowing researching and asking alot of questions on any forum I could find. We added Singapore math to our schedule, I also am now doing story of the world and five in a row. But the first year we did strictly math and language arts and I used the museums and field trips to add in some history and science.

I hope some of this helps and I try and help find out some support groups that you could look at, but here is a place for you to start looking too

http://localhs.com/

The end of the year tests that are required are not anything to worry about either, it basically lets you know where your son is and you build on that.
    We do the Woodcock-Johnson test which are good for ADHD kids, my son scored low and I was pretty upset until I looked back at his testing for the year before (when he was in public school) and realized that he have some improvement. And it gave me the information I needed to build the right curriculum for him, we actually went back a few grades for review and realized that he missed some important lessons.

We also homeschool year round which helps him retain his lessons much better than giving a 3 month break in the summer, we take breaks when they are good for us not on any schedule

Let me know if I can help in any other way!
    Michelle
    pandahoneybee
    My personal blog- Pandahoneybee's Homeschooling Adventure