Concerns about moving to North Dakota--Help!
    CampbellMomof3 Guest

Default Concerns about moving to North Dakota--Help!

I am actually living in Illinois, but I will be moving to North Dakota next month. The homeschooling laws in Illinois are pretty lenient, but the laws in North Dakota are so strict! I don't mind sending the letter to the superintendent of the school district, but I am concerned about some of the restrictions.
    I have my associate's degree in nursing, but I do not have an bachelor's degree. I am not a certified teacher, and I don't know anyone out there yet. How do you go about finding a certified teacher to administer standardized tests? My 2 oldest children are enrolled in an online school that is accredited. Is this considered having a certified teacher monitoring me then?
    If anyone knows the answers or could give me some helpful tips on homeschooling in North Dakota, it would be greatly appreciated!

pandahoneybee is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Welcome to T4L

Ok so here is some info I found for you to take a look at from previous threads..

Here is a article explaining the new law changes Homeschooling Laws in North Dakota | eHow.com, it sounds like they are trying to make harder for parents to homeschool their children. NOT IMPOSSIBLE but definitely more work on the part of homeschooling families(mostly the educator parent!). Here's another article about it HSLDA | Legislation Needed in 2011, but it sounds to me like they are trying to appeal it.

I also wanted to give you this info from a the T4L facebook member otis1984...

Here is what is going on with the laws currently in North Dakota. The law that is set to change in July is the expiration date for the current law which is High School diploma/GED requirement.
    This was a trial run to see if it was actually a need for concern or not.
    The House and the Senate have both passed the bill for it to REMAIN HS DIPLPMA/GED!!!!!!!!!!!! It is currently with the governor to be signed. We are all almost 100% sure that the governor is going to pass this into permanent law.
    So basically the scare of it going back to a bachelor’s degree is currently in the position to be irradiated. I don't know if this helps you out at all.
    I am new to homeschooling and we are starting our children in June. I myself freaked when I saw this change only 2 weeks after I read it the first time. That’s when we dug deeper and found out that the current law is in the works to be made permanent.

otis1984 also set this great message
    I started a facebook blog for families in South West ND. This blog is for families to find other families who are in SWND, ask questions, post activities/events, find groups or families, sell/trade curriculum, recieve advice from other families and much, much more.
    here is my link:
    https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/SW...28269317215897
    or search for:
    SWND Homeschool

All you have to do is like my page and you will be a part of the SWND Homeschool family.

I hope that some of this info helps!!
    let us know how things go!!
    pandahoneybee
    My personal blog- Pandahoneybee's Homeschooling Adventure

CampbellMomof3 is offline Junior Member Newbie

Thank you! That information helps tremendously!

CampbellMomof3 is offline Junior Member Newbie

Thank you!

pandahoneybee is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

AWESOME so glad I could at least point you to the right answers! Please come back and let us know how things go!
    pandahoneybee
    My personal blog- Pandahoneybee's Homeschooling Adventure