Possible move to ND from SC.....a nightmare?
    JudyD is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Possible move to ND from SC.....a nightmare?

Hi,

I currently live in South Carolina. We moved here from Pennsylvania six years ago to take care of my parents. My father died in December, and my sister took my mother to Houston, so here we are in a state with VERY high unemployment, with no opportunities for my husband.

We have our own business in biomass, but in Jan 2009 that was pretty much destroyed when all new biomass projects were halted by the new administration and our clients went under, simply not paying us for five major projects. We have faced no work for a year, and only sparse work the past year, and things have been difficult, to say the least.

My husband is presently interviewing for a position in Fargo, and it looks promising, but as I read the state laws, and see the sunset on the reasonable laws coming up this July, I am wondering if we would be heading into a nightmare. I raised two children successfully through homeschooling, a son, 29, in Colorado with his own family and a very successful photography business, and a daughter, 23, who now lives in Wisconsin and works on an organic dairy farm. I have two remaining at home, a 15 year old boy and a 13 year old girl. I figure I only have to officially homeschool three more years, and then the laws won't really matter much, but I do not want those last years to be stressful.

What, in all honesty, is the outlook for homeschooling in ND? As for weekly monitoring, it is NOT happening. We'd just as soon have my husband work there and hold our residency here before we would submit to that. SC has us spoiled with its homeschooling laws.

pandahoneybee is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Hi Judy!
    Here is a article explaining the new law changes Homeschooling Laws in North Dakota | eHow.com, it sounds like they are trying to make harder for parents to homeschool their children. NOT IMPOSSIBLE but definitely more work on the part of homeschooling families(mostly the educator parent!). Here's another article about it HSLDA | Legislation Needed in 2011, but it sounds to me like they are trying to appeal it. I will try and get this on the FB page as well to see if one of the members who are active on their have more to say on this subject
    thanks
    pandahoneybee
    My personal blog- Pandahoneybee's Homeschooling Adventure

otis1984 Guest

Exclamation I live in North Dakota

Hey there Judy,
    Here is what is going on with the laws currently in North Dakota. The law that is set to change in July is the expiration date for the current law which is High School diploma/GED requirement.
    This was a trial run to see if it was actually a need for concern or not.
    The House and the Senate have both passed the bill for it to REMAIN HS DIPLPMA/GED!!!!!!!!!!!! It is currently with the governor to be signed. We are all almost 100% sure that the governor is going to pass this into permanent law.
    So basically the scare of it going back to a bachelor’s degree is currently in the position to be irradiated. I don't know if this helps you out at all.
    I am new to homeschooling and we are starting our children in June. I myself freaked when I saw this change only 2 weeks after I read it the first time. That’s when we dug deeper and found out that the current law is in the works to be made permanent. Thankfully it is passing quickly and with no issues so far.
    We live in Dickinson. I hope you enjoy Fargo. As a heads-up live as far away from the river as you possibly can (It floods almost every spring) resulting in the need for sandbags and evacuation (Some years). I really hope you guys have a wonderful move and that you find some wonderful places to work.
    Oil is big here in ND right now, so if necessary that is always an option as well.

Quote Originally Posted by JudyD View Post
    Hi,

I currently live in South Carolina. We moved here from Pennsylvania six years ago to take care of my parents. My father died in December, and my sister took my mother to Houston, so here we are in a state with VERY high unemployment, with no opportunities for my husband.

We have our own business in biomass, but in Jan 2009 that was pretty much destroyed when all new biomass projects were halted by the new administration and our clients went under, simply not paying us for five major projects. We have faced no work for a year, and only sparse work the past year, and things have been difficult, to say the least.

My husband is presently interviewing for a position in Fargo, and it looks promising, but as I read the state laws, and see the sunset on the reasonable laws coming up this July, I am wondering if we would be heading into a nightmare. I raised two children successfully through homeschooling, a son, 29, in Colorado with his own family and a very successful photography business, and a daughter, 23, who now lives in Wisconsin and works on an organic dairy farm. I have two remaining at home, a 15 year old boy and a 13 year old girl. I figure I only have to officially homeschool three more years, and then the laws won't really matter much, but I do not want those last years to be stressful.

What, in all honesty, is the outlook for homeschooling in ND? As for weekly monitoring, it is NOT happening. We'd just as soon have my husband work there and hold our residency here before we would submit to that. SC has us spoiled with its homeschooling laws.

Blog Entries

Thanks otis1984! I took care of the duplicates
    pandahoneybee

Blog Entries

Check out Time4Learning.com | Facebook for more responses scroll down until you see your post featured on the wall. oops it is from the great member otis1984 who answered above BUT keep it bookmarked i am sure that more from ND will chime in!
    Last edited by pandahoneybee; 04-05-2011 at 09:27 AM.
    pandahoneybee

otis1984 is offline Junior Member Newbie

Wink Thank you

Thanks Pandahoneybee!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by otis1984 View Post
    Thanks Pandahoneybee!
    I appreciate you coming over from FB to help us out Have a great weekend!
    pandahoneybee