Regional accreditation?
    Hi-D is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Regional accreditation?

My daughter has homeschooled since 5th grade and we have taken 3 different approaches. 5th and 6th were traditional book work curriculum that I grew up with. 7th and 8th, we implemented Time4Learning, and 9th grade was an online, accredited high school course based in Florida. When she enrolled, it was nationally accredited, but is now regionally accredited. How will that affect her enrollment in colleges here. She loves the curriculum and is pulling straight A's, but I'm wondering about different requirements in different regions?
    Any input is much appreciated.
    Thank you,
    Hi-D

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Regional accreditation?

In my opinion, knowing that something is "accredited" doesn't tell you much. There are many accrediting agencies, and they all have different requirements. Hospitals and other institutions can also be accredited, so the word doesn't really mean what many people think it means. I once worked at a hospital who was accredited by an agency that based accreditation, in part, on nurse-to-patient ratio and whether there were properly located fire extinguishers in the facility.

Employers aren't allowed to discriminate against homeschool diplomas (issued by the parent), as long as the homeschool laws were followed. Colleges are more interested in a student's entrance exam scores than in how they learned what they know (whether homeschool, private school, public school, "accredited" program, etc.). Many colleges actively recruit homeschooled students.

Even among school personnel, there is a misunderstanding of accreditation. Unfortunately, front desk receptionists, school secretaries, and other personnel that you may initially interact with have the same assumptions as the general public regarding "accreditation." Many times, they have had limited experience with homeschool families and assume homeschool laws "must be" the same as public school laws.

Be sure you are speaking with someone who has authority to make decisions. Very few colleges do not have a procedure in place for homeschooled students. Even the Federal government awards college financial aid to homeschooled students (my kids have all received it), and the military now accepts homeschool diplomas.

Time4Learning has a tool within your parent dashboard to help you create your child's homeschool diploma and transcript. Five of my six kids so far have been accepted into college with those documents, signed by me.

You might be interested in this article called Defending the Diploma.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!