advice on record-keeping for new homeschoolers
    mamaneedham is offline Senior Member

Default advice on record-keeping for new homeschoolers

1. mamaneedham - 08-14-2010, 03:51 PM
      This is directed at some of you who are new to homeschooling in Ohio. At the end of the year, you can choose to either have your child take a nationally-normed standardized test, or to have a certified teacher review a portfolio representing their work for the year. Personally, my family uses the latter option.

I've found it really helpful to print records of my kids' T4L work every week or so and keep them all together to show the person reviewing our portfolios what the kids have been working on. When your child is logged in to T4L, click on the picture of the backpack that says "portfolio" and you can experiment with printing different reports on their schoolwork and progress.

Figure out what works for you, but it's a great habit to regularly print these reports because they are eventually cleared from the system and may not be available when you want them. I print mine once a week but I think once a month would work just as well.

Anyone else got some advice for newbies in Ohio? Please share!
    2. Christinemg0813 - 12-26-2010, 09:58 AM
      Hi.

I have not picked up my paperwork yet from the board of education. We are planning on homeschooling one child for 2011-2012. I sent an email to them asking about the yearly test, and the lady didn't seem to know what I was talking about. I even sent her a link from our Ohio State Government page where it says there are three different options of standardized tests to take. She still couldn't help me. How, at the end of the year do you take the tests? Are you notified, or do you have to request to do so?

Also, HSLDA has paperwork for Ohio to fill out that is supposed to be less than what your typical school district asks for. Have you filled out your forms from them, or the school district?

Thank you.
    3. mamaneedham - 12-27-2010, 08:55 AM
      I use the HSLDA paperwork myself, and I like it because it meets the requirements of the law without providing additional info. I just toss the paperwork the school district gives me into the trash! They are allowed to ask for more info (about your kids, your chosen curriculum, etc.) but you aren't required to give it to them. So don't! You are not not required to use any particular format for your notification, as long as you provide the required information, and the lawyers at HSLDA have made sure their form meets all the necessary criteria.

Now, about tests....The school district does not provide you with a test. You're on your own for that. You can certainly ask if your child can take the test at the local school near the end of the year, and they may let you, but they are NOT required by law to allow your child to take the test. I recommend searching the net for alternatives, and talking to other homeschool parents in your area to see what they use. There is not a particular test you have to use. It can be any standardized, nationally-normed achievement test. Here is one option for you: Homeschool California Achievement Testing There are plenty of others, if you do a little searching. (and YES you can take the California test if you live in Ohio - it's fine!)

I'm not sure what you mean about the Ohio State Government page where there are 3 options of tests to take. I'm not familiar with that, but could you explain?
    4. Christinemg0813 - 12-28-2010, 06:01 PM
      This is what I found. The link to this is at the bottom.

3301-34-04 Academic Assessment
      (A) The parent(s) shall send to the superintendent an academic assessment report of the child for the previous school year at the time of supplying subsequent notification.
      (B) The academic assessment report shall include one of the following:
      (1) Results of a nationally normed, standardized achievement testswhich meets the requirements set forth in rule 3301-12-02 of the Administrative Code.
      (a) Such test shall be administered by:
      (i) A Licensed or certified teacher; or
      (ii) Another person mutually agreed upon by the parent(s) and the superintendent; or
      (iii) A person duly authorized by the publisher of the test.
      (b) Results should demonstrate reasonable proficiency as compared to other children in the district at the same grade level. Any child that has a composite score at or above the twenty-fifth percentile shall be deemed to be performing at a level of reasonable proficiency.
      (2) A written narrative indicating that a portfolio of samples of the child’s work has been reviewed and that the child’s academic progress for the year is in accordance with the child’s abilities.
      (a) The written narrative shall be prepared by:
      (i) A Licensed or certified teacher; or
      (ii) Other person mutually agreed upon by the parent(s) and the superintendent.
      (b) The parent(s) shall be responsible for the payment of fees charged for preparation of the narrative.
      (3) An alternative academic assessment of the child’s proficiency mutually agreed upon by the parent and the superintendent.
      (C) If the parent(s) chooses to have the standardized testing conducted as part of the school district scheduled testing program, there shall be no cost to the parent(s). The time and location for testing shall be established by the school district.
      (D) If the parent(s) chooses to have the standardized testing conducted privately, the parent(s) shall pay for the testing. The time and location for testing shall be established by the parent(s).

ODE - Home Education
    5. mamaneedham - 12-29-2010, 09:06 PM
      Hi Christine -
      Yup. Seen that before somewhere! Many times. Too many.
      I think maybe the confusion was about the lady at the school board not knowing what you were referring to, right? I don't think that's uncommon at all. Much better for you to know the law yourself rather than rely on the school board's answers to your questions.
      Let us know how it goes when you choose what method to go with. I use the narrative option, myself. Good luck!
    6. Christinemg0813 - 12-30-2010, 01:50 PM
      Yes, that is where my confusion was.

We happen to have a family friend as a teacher. I'm sure she will be more than willing to do the narrative. I'm just trying to make sure we are doing everything correctly.
    7. DavieEllaOlivia - 01-06-2011, 03:25 PM
      Hi,

For the past two school years my children have taken the IOWA tests, I purchase them through BJU Press Testing and Evaluation Service | BJU Press for around $80 or $90 per child. They can provide you with a list of testers in your area who charge a small fee, OR, you can actually become a tester through them and administer the tests yourself, as long as you have a bachelor's degree and agree to follow all of the rules associated with being a tester. My husband is an authorized tester through BJUPress and and as he is a "duly authorized by the publisher of the test" he is able to administer the tests too our children. This works out well. We mail the completed tests and in about 4-5 weeks we receive their test scores, which I send to the board of education along with our intent to home school forms. I recommend the IOWA tests, thumbing through the test booklets, and so far Time4Learning has provided my children with the skills to do well on the tests.

Julie
    Mom to five of the world's most incredible kids, and homeschooling all the way!

"If the schools were perfect, I would still homeschool my children - because it isn't about school. It's about families taking back their children and educating them as they see best. School is only a substitute for the real thing."

Nutrition Curriculum For Homeschoolers at NutritionForHealthyKids.com

Unregistered Guest

Default New Ohio Homeschooler Narrative Option Question!

Hi Mamaneedham (or anyone with input!!)

We really want to go with the certified teacher, narrative option, and we are just getting started on our homeschooling journey this upcoming fall...how or where do you find a certified teacher to do this? About how much do you estimate this could cost for two children ages 6 and 8? TIA for ANY insight, this is the only thing I am lost on, we know not a one homeschooling family.

mamaneedham is offline Senior Member

You need to find other homeschoolers locally to connect with. Most areas have homeschooling support groups that meet for field trips, co-op classes, or even just playdates. Ask around where you live, and try searching Yahoo Groups or Facebook for homeschooling stuff in your area. The locals would know where to find teachers who do portfolio assessments, so you need to make some connections. The price varies widely but I'd expect to pay $50-75 for 2 assessments. If you're in the Dayton area, let me know and I can connect you with some homeschool groups. If not though, even just a simple Google search ought to turn something up for your area.
    Mom to five of the world's most incredible kids, and homeschooling all the way!

"If the schools were perfect, I would still homeschool my children - because it isn't about school. It's about families taking back their children and educating them as they see best. School is only a substitute for the real thing."

Nutrition Curriculum For Homeschoolers at NutritionForHealthyKids.com

Robin is offline Senior Member

I've been homeschooling in Ohio since 1999. Never had a problem submitting standardized tests from Seton Testing that I gave to the kids myself. The test allows parents to administer it, and I did.

(a) Such test shall be administered by:(i) A Licensed or certified teacher; or
    (ii) Another person mutually agreed upon by the parent(s) and the superintendent; or
    (iii) A person duly authorized by the publisher of the test.

Unregistered Guest

Question Printing Reports

Do I print reports from the portfolio or the recent works?

Unregistered Guest

Default Printing Reports

Do I print the report or the Lessons or what in the portfolio?