Help! New to HS. How do you list T4L in your OH Notification Form?
    mamaneedham is offline Senior Member

Default Help! New to HS. How do you list T4L in your OH Notification Form?

1. MommyL - 08-10-2010, 01:53 PM
      Hello,

As I stated, I am new to HS . I am in the process of filling out my Ohio Notification Form to send to my school district. I don't understand what I am supposed to put in the "outline" and "list" for #6. and #7. (see below) since my curriculum is Time4Learning. How do I "list/outline" that?!

Thank you in advance for your time and your prayers .

6. Brief outline of the intended curriculum for the current year. Such outline is for informational purposes only.

7. List of:___textbooks; ___correspondence course;___commercial curricula; or___other basic teaching materials that the parent intends to use for home education.

GOD BLESS AMERICA! MommyL "Psalm 23"
    2. mamaneedham - 08-11-2010, 01:25 PM
      Welcome!
      First of all, take a deep breath! Notification isn't a stressful thing at all! Remember that whatever you put on your notification form is for "informational purposes only" (yep, that's really what the law says), and this means you can make changes whenever you like without further notifying anyone. So as long as you cover all the bases and list something for each required subject, you do NOT have to actually use those resources when you teach that subject, should you happen to change your mind. None of this is written in stone, and if you change your mind about any of it, well then....you just change your mind! See - it's easy! So, what exactly you write down is not as important as just writing something.

The requirements are the same statewide, but some districts are pickier than others. The way I structure my own notification letter each year is to list each child's name and then each subject. Next to each subject, I put Time4Learning.com, as well as anything I might choose to supplement T4L with. A good way to make sure you've covered the requirements is to add something like, "will provide additional supplemental math games/drills as needed" or " will utilize various library and internet resources" or even "field trips to art museum" or "private instruction in violin", as a few examples.

Try to avoid providing excess detail. If your notification contains the minimum required info, it's best to NOT elaborate and give them something to nit-pick. This should NOT be an exhaustive list of every field trip you plan to do this year, or listing a bunch of stuff from the table of contents of a history textbook to explain what material you're going to cover, or anything in great detail like that. I have always just listed Time4Learning.com and a few supplemental things here and there, and never had a problem. I don't know what district you're in, but should they have a concern with something you've put down, they will send you something to that effect in writing, and you can then reply with more specifics.

You may be feeling a time crunch to get this done right away, but no worries, just make sure it is post-marked by the first day of school in your district. Do not deliver it in person. You need to send it certified mail, return receipt requested, and keep the proof that they signed for it, to prove you were in compliance with the law in notifiying them of your intent to homeschool. The closer to the first day of school that you send it in, the better, because they'll be busy with back-to-school and more likely to approve everything without close scrutiny. Remember, follow the law to the letter, but minimize your chances of someone making trouble for you. And one more note, you do NOT have to use any particular format for your notification, not even the paperwork provided by the school district!

I hope this helps to alleviate some of your anxiety. By the time you've done this once or twice, you'll be a pro! It gets easier, I promise! Welcome to homeschooling and T4L, and I hope you'll reply with any further questions you may have. Happy notifying!
    3. MommyL - 08-11-2010, 06:23 PM

Oh, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU for responding to my inquiry!

I was feeling so helpless. I couldn't find any information anywhere, couldn't get responses to my emails, etc... I've been scouring the internet to find help for my specific questions but have had no luck--there are lots of sites with generalities but not really specifics. I also haven't been able to find many HS groups in my area of Ohio (Columbus, Franklin Co./Gahanna-Jefferson School District)--especially ones that HS with T4L.

So I just kept praying that someone would answer me back and you did! You totally answered my questions. You are an answer to my prayers.

Thank you again so much! God Bless You!
      MommyL
    4. mamaneedham - 08-13-2010, 11:30 AM

Hi MommyL -
      I'm so glad I could help! I really try to answer posts within 24 hours, so please feel free to ask any other questions you may have.

There was another member of this group that lives near Columbus, but I can't remember now who it was. Try this link to our Member Locator page and maybe you can find others in your area: Member List - Search - Parent Community and Forum

As for general homeschooling groups, I recommend you go to Yahoo and search their groups for something near where you live. Yahoo! Groups - Join or create groups, clubs, forums & communities Connecting with other moms near you, whether they use T4L or not, would be exactly what you need. They could tell you the ins and outs of the school districts there as well as info on local groups, field trips, etc. Good luck!
    5. MommyL - 08-16-2010, 01:15 PM

Thank you so much again for your help!

~MommyL
    Mom to five of the world's most incredible kids, and homeschooling all the way!

"If the schools were perfect, I would still homeschool my children - because it isn't about school. It's about families taking back their children and educating them as they see best. School is only a substitute for the real thing."

Nutrition Curriculum For Homeschoolers at NutritionForHealthyKids.com

jendebourbon Guest

Default I'm in Franklin County, too, Mommy L!

Hi, Mommy L. I just logged on, saw your post, and am happy to know that someone else near us is using Time for Learning. We just joined and my DD will be using this program for the first time. To be honest, this is all new to us, and we've been a bit worried. We are in Dublin, OH - how about you? My 10 y.o. DD will be doing the 5th grade program this year. I also have a 14 y.o. DD and 3 y.o. son.