Mid year Notification
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By mamaneedham

Thread: Mid year Notification

momofjesusfreak is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Mid year Notification

Anyone have experience with pulling their child out of public school mid year? How would you handle notification? Do you need to notify first then withdraw? I was told that you can withdraw then you have two weeks to notify. Does anyone know where I can find what the law states for this situation?

mamaneedham is offline Senior Member

Yes, you can pull your child out of school mid-year. I am not sure if you have 2 weeks to notify but personally, I wouldn't risk it. Just send your notification paperwork to the superintendent by certified mail, return receipt requested, and mail it the day you withdraw your child from school, as as soon as possible thereafter. Do not drop it off with the school when you disenroll your child! There's really no reason to wait 2 weeks; just go ahead and send it through the mail, and definitely do the certified mail, return receipt requested, so you have proof you sent it and followed the law.

The school may hassle you when you withdraw your child and give you instructions on how to notify, what info to include in your paperwork, or insist that you use their forms to notify. I urge you to read the info here at HSLDA's Ohio page and follow that advice, rather than anything you may hear elsewhere, just to make sure you're following the law to the letter. Keep in mind that when you list your intended curriculum in the notification paperwork, you are not bound to follow it - you can change curriculum at any point without further notifying anyone. That's why the law says it is "for informational purposes only". That should take some of the stress out of being a newbie and figuring out what curriculum and materials you plan to use. Just put something down in good faith and don't worry about it if you change your mind later. Personally, I list time4learning.com and a few other supplemental things here and there, and that's it!

Best wishes to you, and Happy Homeschooling!
    Mom to five of the world's most incredible kids, and homeschooling all the way!

"If the schools were perfect, I would still homeschool my children - because it isn't about school. It's about families taking back their children and educating them as they see best. School is only a substitute for the real thing."

Nutrition Curriculum For Homeschoolers at NutritionForHealthyKids.com

Shari2002 is offline Junior Member Newbie

I signed my 2 kiddos up for T4L, my special needs son is still enrolled w/an on-line school, do I need to notify my school district along with the on-line school? I am going to use T4L as my core curriculum, along w/special needs ipad apps, some workbooks and hopefully Time4writing.

mamaneedham is offline Senior Member

I think you need to disenroll him from the online school (formally, and in writing) but then send your notification paperwork to your local school because they're the ones that you'll need to send your portfolio review to this summer. That's what I would do, anyway.
    Shari2002 likes this.
    Mom to five of the world's most incredible kids, and homeschooling all the way!

"If the schools were perfect, I would still homeschool my children - because it isn't about school. It's about families taking back their children and educating them as they see best. School is only a substitute for the real thing."

Nutrition Curriculum For Homeschoolers at NutritionForHealthyKids.com