New to Cleveland and need help finding ISP
    Oona is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default New to Cleveland and need help finding ISP

Hey there, we just moved states and I'm trying to get my ducks in order for Ohio's homeschool laws. I have been trying to find some type of ISP or private umbrella school that I could work with for my boys and I'm not having much luck? Anyone have a great resource to check out? We have our curriculum, lesson plans, etc. We are just looking for a private school option to carry records and such - appreciate any help you might have.

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Default Re: New to Cleveland and need help finding ISP

Hi. I'm not in Ohio, so I can't help you find such a school. I just want to make sure you know you don't NEED one. Here is all you need to do, with my comments in blue. I'm not an attorney, so my notes are "things to think about" and not legal advice.

Homeschooling under Ohio’s homeschool statute:
    Children may be excused from compulsory attendance in order to be home educated if their parents comply with the state’s homeschool regulations. Follow these steps to homeschool under this option:

1. Submit annual notification to the school district in order for your child to be excused from compulsory attendance.

In order to receive an excuse, parents or guardians must submit annual notification to the resident school district superintendent. The notification must provide the following:

• School year for which notification is made;
    • Name and address of the parent, and full name and birth date of child;
    • Name and address of person(s) who will be teaching the child, if other than the parent;
    • Assurance that the homeschool will include the required subjects listed below (“except that home education shall not be required to include any concept, topic, or practice that is in conflict with the sincerely held religious beliefs of the parent”);
    • A brief outline of intended curriculum;
    • List of textbooks or other basic teaching materials; and
    • Assurance of hours and qualifications (see below).

The law places specific time frames and requirements on superintendents to respond to homeschool notification.

2. Make sure you have the required qualifications.

Parents who teach their own children at home are required to have a high school diploma or GED, or scores from a standardized test demonstrating high school equivalence. A parent who lacks any of these qualifications may still homeschool under the direction of a person who holds a baccalaureate degree. Such oversight is required until the children’s test results demonstrate reasonable proficiency.

3. Teach the required subjects.

Home education programs are required to teach language, reading, spelling, writing, geography, history of the United States and Ohio, government, math, science, health, physical education, fine arts (including music), first aid, safety, and fire prevention.

Kelly's Note: All of these subjects do not have to be taught every year, and the state does not specify the content of the subjects . . . so you are free to decide what "fine arts" to teach (drawing? piano lessons? knitting?) and what "physical education" means in your home school (a daily walk? Little League?).

4. Teach the required number of hours.

Parents providing a home education program must assure the superintendent that they will provide at least 900 hours of home education per school year.

Time4Learning keeps track of all ONLINE hours, but it does not track the time your child spends on worksheets or on other things you choose to teach in your homeschool. Remember that 4H, Scouts, arts and crafts, music lessons, physical activity, organized sports, and casual parental instruction in things like cooking or auto mechanics can all be counted. Just keep a calendar and jot notes on each day, such as "guitar lesson, one hour, music" or "driveway basketball game with brother, 45 minutes, P.E." or "Netflix documentary about planets, two hours, science".)

5. Assess your student annually.

Parents home educating their children under Ohio’s homeschool statute are required to annually assess their children’s academic proficiency. You may select one of three options to comply with the assessment regulation.
    One, you may choose to test your child with any nationally normed standardized achievement test. The test may be administered by an Ohio licensed or certified teacher, or by another person that you and the superintendent agree upon, or by any person authorized by the publisher of the test. The composite score must be sent to the superintendent and must show that the child scored at least in the 25th percentile.
    Two, you may choose to submit a written narrative indicating that a portfolio of samples of your child’s work has been reviewed by a qualified person and that your child’s academic progress for the year is in accordance with the child’s abilities. The narrative must be prepared by an Ohio licensed or certified teacher or by someone else whom you and the superintendent have agreed upon.

Kelly's Note: Click the following link for information about how to prepare a homeschool portfolio when you are using Time4Learning.
    Three, you may choose another form of assessment than those listed above if you and the superintendent have agreed upon it.
    Four, you may choose to have your student participate in the school district scheduled testing program.
    Here is how to submit the assessment results to your superintendent:
    You are required send the annual assessment results with your homeschool notification for the subsequent academic year.
    Here is what will happen if your child does not demonstrate reasonable proficiency:
    If your child fails to demonstrate reasonable proficiency on the assessment, the superintendent is obligated to notify you in writing that you must submit a plan of remediation within 30 days. During the remediation, you will be required to submit quarterly reports. The superintendent may terminate remediation when your child demonstrates reasonable proficiency. It is possible that a child may be ordered into public school if remediation is unsuccessful.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Robin is offline Senior Member

Default Re: New to Cleveland and need help finding ISP

I'm in the Cleveland area and have been homeschooling since 1999. Unless you feel like you must have it, it's really not necessary to have an umbrella school. I don't think they are very common in our area. I keep my own grades in a grade book. Some years I kept no grades. You will find that you know how your student is doing without keeping a running record of each lesson or quiz that they take.

Was there any other reason that you wanted the umbrella school? Maybe I can explain it away for you and take off some of the pressure.