Olo...I'm new! Anyone in the Dayton area?
    SchoolingSam is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Olo...I'm new! Anyone in the Dayton area?

Hi!
    I'm new to homeschooling and could use some help getting started. My son is 13 and has autism. Been fighting with school for a couple of years (low expectations, no integration, isolation, etc) and have been looking for alternatives for some time. Looked at private schools, special public schools, and even starting my own school. Also considered Ohio Connections Academy and the Autism Scholarship but finally decided I'm done with the whole IEP process and dealing with public schools and their BS. I'm fully capable of teaching my own son!!! It came to a head last week and I withdrew him from school. I need to finish this year and chose to use T4L. Next year I'll probably use a combination of T4L and the Charlotte Mason method. My son is in 7th grade but probably functioning at a first grade level, so that's where we're starting. I'd love to connect to others in a similar situation. Anyone out there?

mamaneedham is offline Senior Member

Hi Nancy,
    I'm in the Dayton area. Can't help with the autism but I've been homeschooling here for years and I can definitely get you plugged into the local homeschooling community. Here's a great group for you to try:
    DaytonAreaHomeschoolers : Dayton Area Homeschoolers
    Best wishes to you!
    Mom to five of the world's most incredible kids, and homeschooling all the way!

"If the schools were perfect, I would still homeschool my children - because it isn't about school. It's about families taking back their children and educating them as they see best. School is only a substitute for the real thing."

Nutrition Curriculum For Homeschoolers at NutritionForHealthyKids.com

bpokrandt is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Dayton Area ODE ASP scholarship participant as well.

Hi There Nancy,

This is my first post and I just joined T4L today. Hopefully we will still be here after the two week trial.

I am in the Dayton Area, but out in Greene county. We have a lot in common. I have a 3rd grader with ASD (diagnosed as Asperger's but had speech delay as well so I think technically he is HFA) We use the Autism scholarship for OT and Speech and I too am also done with IEP process and headache. Oi! I am starting homeschool for the first time I plan on using T4L and some Abeka and APO curriculum. We shall see how those plans go. We considered connections and K12 but settled on going it ourselves. I wish you the best in this new venture. PS. Any ideas on what to do about the ASP renewal coming up in June? Do our boys still qualify if we homeschool????

bpokrandt is offline Junior Member Newbie

Nancy...

I just clicked on your blog link. I figured out that I have met both you and your son before. We used get services through Midwest on Woodman.....my son and your son had either the same SLP or OT at the time and our sessions were scheduled close together. Small World!