Question about requirements
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    loveajl is offline Junior Member

Default Question about requirements

Hi,
    I am wanting to homeschool my 11yr old and I have signed her up today to start on T4L. I am really not sure what to do at this point. I am going to call the district tomorrow but can I go ahead and keep her home and let her start or do I have to wait for approval?
    Also, there is a lot that Ohio wants in the curriculum, some I'm not sure where o find.

(a) language, reading, spelling and writing (is this all included in the Language Arts portion)
    (b) geography, history of the United States and Ohio; and national, state and local government; (where do I find a curiculum for this- is this the social studies part of T4L)
    (c) mathematics; (got it)
    (d) science; (got it)
    (e) health; (where do I get curriculum for this)
    (f) physical education; (can I tell them she is walking everyday)
    (g) fine arts, including music; and (where do I get this from)
    (h) first aid, safety, and fire prevention (where do I get this from)

I hope these aren't stupid questions, I just need to know so we can get started. I am confused searching everywhere. My head is spinning.

Thank you

mamaneedham is offline Senior Member

Default Re: Question about requirements

Welcome to homeschooling!

The first step is the hardest, but don't worry - it gets easier! I highly recommend that you join HSLDA. Here's a great link for HSLDA to get you started http://www.youcanhomeschool.org/star...ult.asp?bhcp=1.

Yes, you can start homeschooling your daughter immediately, but you also do need to notify ASAP the superintendent of the school district of your intent to homeschool. I would not call them though. Do everything in writing and mail it return-receipt-requested so you have proof they received it. It is not the school's job to make this easy on you, and usually they won't! Find more on how to do this from HSLDA. Here's a link to info on the laws in Ohio. http://www.hslda.org/laws/analysis/Ohio.pdf

You can use Time4Learning for any portion of the state-required subject areas that you wish, and you can supplement with any other curriculum you wish. Note that your notification to the superintendent must include your intended curriculum choices, but you do NOT have to notify them of any changes. So if you find the math book you choose doesn't work well for your daughter, you can swtich to whatever else you like WITHOUT notifying anyone.

A few tips: In this year's notification letter to the superintendent, I lumped together "health, safety, first aid, and fire prevention" and for my curriculum I just put "various internet and library resources". It worked fine, and depending on how picky your superintendent wants to be, you might consider something like that.

Physical education - yep, walking every day should work, I would think. I list the soccer team and cheerleading squad my girls are on and that works fine too. If you're interested, some YMCAs offer "homeschool gym" time for a reasonable fee also.

There are usually homeschooling support groups out there where homeschooling families can network, share ideas, plan field trips for their kids, etc, so check the internet for that sort of thing in your area. (If you live near Dayton, let me know and I'll help you out!) Try searching for homeschooling groups in your town at http://groups.yahoo.com/ - that's a great resource! Connecting with other homeschoolers locally will help you find out about music/art classes and other opportunities you'd otherwise miss.

Feel free to post again if I can help further. Definitely take some time to explore T4L and discover what's available here. That alone will help you out tremendously! Best wishes!
    Jennifer
    Mom to five of the world's most incredible kids, and homeschooling all the way!

"If the schools were perfect, I would still homeschool my children - because it isn't about school. It's about families taking back their children and educating them as they see best. School is only a substitute for the real thing."

Nutrition Curriculum For Homeschoolers at NutritionForHealthyKids.com

Thank you so much for answering me! I am sure I'll have tons of questions, so it's great to have found this site. I live in Canal Winchester.

This is great! I've been wracking my brain trying to decide whether to send her tomorrow. She's been begging me to let her stay home and work on the computer. She started tonight and loves T4L. I had to make her stop to go to bed. So, I'll call the school tomorrow and tell them I am taking her out of the school, and then send the letter to the superintendent.

Thank you again for your help.
    Amy

I'm so glad that info was helpful! And that's terrific that your daughter loves T4L! My kids love it too! Please post if you have more questions, and maybe it'll help someone else out there too.
    Jennifer

"If the schools were perfect, I would still homeschool my children - because it isn't about school. It's about families taking back their children and educating them as they see best. School is only a substitute for the real thing."

Hi,
    I just need a few things clarified before I send off my forms. I think I have almost everything figured out, so I would love some help and advice if I am forgetting something.

1. Would this be acceptable to write for curriculum

*Language Arts, spelling, writing, and reading- Time4Learning.com; reading books from the library; journaling
    *Geography, History of US and Ohio, and National, State, and Local Government- Time4Learning.com; various internet and library resources
    *Math- Time4Learning.com
    *Science- Time4Learning.com
    *PE- We go for walks and I am signing her up for dance classes
    *Health, first aid, safety, and fire prevention- various internet and library resources
    *Fine Arts, including music- we do projects like painting, drawing, scrapbooking, and sewing ((What would I do for Music, I am stumped here))

2. For the part that says we need to provide an academic assessment, I read somewhere that it is only if you are sending a notification for a second time, year. This is me taking her from regular school to homeschool. So, do I need to send one?

3. I am moving to Texas in June, so my daughter will not schooling here in Ohio next year. Do I still need to take any tests, assessments at the end of the year?

4. The lady told me I could fax or mail the notification form for to her. Would faxing be fine if I emailed her and asked her to confirm she receved it. Then I would have email confirmation. Or do you recommend certified mailing over faxing.

Thanks in advance for your help, sorry if they are stupid questions. I don't wanna turn everything in and end up getting something wrong.

I think your list of curricula is fine. It's very similar to what I've done here in my school district, and it was approved. Personally, I would send the fax but ALSO send the same letter through the mail and get that signed return-receipt. You really, really, really can not play at this. Get it in writing. Follow the law to the letter and nothing will come back to bite you. Just my 2 cents.

There's a book called 100 Top Picks for Homeschool Curriculum by Cathy Duffy that I highly recommend. It has reviews and summaries of tons of different curriculum choices. It's probably available at your local library, and it might be able to help you come up with a plan for music. (and everything else!) You can also just google something like "homeschool music curriculum" and see what's out there. Just list something that looks promising on your notification paperwork so you can go ahead and submit it, and then try the curriculum to see how it works for you. You can always change your mind later.

My kids take music classes specifically designed for homeschoolers at a local music school. That's the sort of thing you'll hear about if you join some local homeschool support groups, but it's hard to know what's out there when you're new to homeschooling.

The provision stating you don't need to provide an assessment or test scores the first time you notify applies to right now, since you're sending your first notification to the superintendent now. So right now you just send your notification, and that's it. By the end of the school year though, you will have homeschooled your child for half the school year and you'll be about to submit your second year's notification, so YES you will need to give the district either a portfolio assessment or test scores at the end of THIS school year. Unless...

Technically, if your daughter is still being homeschooled in Ohio at the end of the school year, you should plan on submitting test scores or a portfolio assessment to your local school district. If you move out of the district before the last day of school there, then just mail them a letter stating this (again, send it certified mail with return receipt requested!) and you're off the hook.

I have also homeschooled in Texas. Are you moving to the Houston area, by chance? Things are MUCH easier down there! There are NO rules or requirements whatsoever. You do not have to tell anyone you're homeschooling, not even the school district you'll be living in, and you do not have to tell anyone your curriculum choices or anything else. It's wonderfully simple! You do whatever you feel is best for your child, and that's that! Read up on Texas laws on the HSLDA website, and you might want check out the T4L page for Texas also.

I hope this has been helpful. Congratulations to you and your daughter! What a beautiful journey you're embarking upon!
    Jennifer

Thank you for writing back. I just finished getting everything ready, and I'm gonna mail it out (certified of course ;-)) tomorrow. The lady told me I could not keep her home until it is approved, so she is very anxious right now.

I am moving back to the Dallas area. My mom worked for the school district there and told me I just have to sign a paper saying I am homeshooling her and I'm done. That sounds awesome. I do plan on looking for groups, so wish me luck.

Anyway, just wanted to say thanks again.
    Amy

rosebud56 is offline Junior Member

Hi,
    Was going to homeschool my oldest daughter because of health problems. She is a senior at a Christian School. I sent the notification form in to the superintendent, but later that week the doctor said she would do fine staying in school which she would love to do so she can graduate from there. Do I need to write the superintendent to disregard the notification?

If anyone can help me please write back.

Thanks

Rose

Hi Rose -
    I'm sure that was a huge relief that your daughter's health problems won't interfere with her senior year! Yes, you do need to inform the superintendent that your daughter will not be homeschooled after all, and will be going to the Christian school where she previously attended. It should be a very simple thing to do. Best wishes to you!
    Jennifer

rosebud56 is offline Junior Member

Hi Jennifer,

This is Rose again. I was wondering if my daughter could take certain classes in school and certain classes at home? And would she still be considered still being homeschooled?

Thanks again for all your help

Rose

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast