questions/concerns on TFL - very nervous
    Unregistered Guest

Default questions/concerns on TFL - very nervous

I"m new to TFL and to homeschooling. My son has struggled for years in school and has a learning disability. I'm not sure whether to do TFL or Connections Academy for my son. He is in the 7th grade and his main weakness is math as well as writing. I'm nervous because i'm not sure I can do homeschooling by myself. If I do just TFL how often does he need to be tested and where can I have that done at? Do I need to send his test scores to the school district? We are from chillicothe, ohio. If his test scores happen to be low, what will happen than with the school district? Is there anything else that I would have to do along with the testing? If i do Connections Academy he still has to be state tested is that right? Does anyone have any experience with Connections Academy?

I'm also wondering once he gets to high school how does homeschooling kids receive a high school diploma? Will the diploma they receive be recognized by other schools and employers?

thanks for any input
    Krissy

MamaToHerRoo is offline Senior Member

Hi, and welcome to T4L! I'll try to answer some of your questions. I don't have Ohio specific information regarding laws and testing, but I can tell you a few general rule things.
    Connections is basically administered by the public school system so it is more like "school at home" as opposed to homeschooling. That means that you will have to follow whatever rules are set up for the public schools, and this includes testing.
    As for the diploma for a homeschool high school graduate, as the teacher of record you would issue the diploma. In many states, laws have been passed that indicate that homeschool diplomas are to be considered equal to public school diplomas. I'm not sure if Ohio is one of those states.
    In general though, homeschoolers with good transcripts are considered as asset to colleges.
    As for homeschooling on your own, if you choose to homeschool with Time4Learning, you will not be on your own! You can ask questions on the Ohio State forum, or any of the other forums. In addition, there is Live Chat so you can talk to a T4L representative online, you can also send email. Finally, you can always ask questions of the Customer Service staff via phone. Lots of support-from fellow homeschoolers, T4L reps, and the company! Hope some of this helps!
    Linda
    Homeschooling one for 8 years and counting!

Unregistered Guest

Default questions on TFL - not sure if can teach math

thanks for replying back. I looked up info on homeschooling in Ohio and from what I read you have to have students take the state test. I've no idea how to go about that or where to go. I am very uneasy about teaching my son math. He struggles very much in it and honestly a lot of the math in higher grades I dont remember anymore from school. Many days he would bring his homework home from school and it seemed foreign to me. How does a homeschooling mom teach their child a subject that they themselves are not confident in and do not understand a lot of the material? I also want to add that I work full time but I work from home so I will be here with my son but also occupied somewhat part of the time with my own work. Given that i'm working a job would you think him doing the schooling through a virtual school like Connections would be more viable or through something like time4learning.

thanks
    krissy

MamaToHerRoo is offline Senior Member

I have to admit that I would recommend Time4Learning because it is what I know and have used for 8 years. I work part time from home and did not want to have the public school involved in my homeschool and so never considered a virtual academy. I would suggest that you contact a homeschool group in your area to see how they go about testing, they should know where to go and how to go about doing that. You can find a group by googling homeschool support group Ohio. I find that T4L gives adequate instruction in most things, math is pretty thorough. There are plenty of practice problems in the chapter by that name. I can honestly tell you my math skills are soo much better now after reviewing as my daughter learns. You can always seek a tutor if you are not comfortable - consider an older homeschooler for the job! Be flexible! Remember that you can school subjects he needs more help with when you are done with work, letting him do subjects he needs less help with while you are working.
    Linda
    Homeschooling one for 8 years and counting!