?'s regarding portfolio assessment vs. testing
    My3Bears is offline Junior Member

Default ?'s regarding portfolio assessment vs. testing

Hi! We started last year 08/09 with an online virtual school. My daughter did great with this for 3rd grade but when I added my son for 1st grade this year and my daughter 4th it just wasn't a program that worked for him. I started searching for alternatives and came across Time4Learning. We immediately loved it so we dropped the online school, notified our superintendant, and have been using T4L since November. Now I'm stumped as to the best route to go when we need to notify for next year and either submit the portfolio assessment or test results. My daughter did do the OAT with the virtual school so I know she'd do fine testing but my son has an expressive/receptive language disorder and struggles a bit with understanding what is said to him and getting out what he wants to say. He goes to speech therapy 1x a week and is making great progress. T4L is one reason he's doing so much better! I worry that if I have him tested he may not do well if the person administering the test doesn't make sure he understands exactly what is being asked. Since T4L is a complete curriculum but I also supplement with workbooks, science classes at the Y, and history at the museum what exactly would we even submit for a portfolio??? I've talked with other moms who use other curriculum and they have binders of stuff to submit (like a scrapbook) but I have no idea how to put something like that together with what we use! Would submitting the reports for each child from T4L be sufficient for someone to do a portfolio? I understand that we need to do either the portfolio assessment or testing with a certified teacher but I'm wondering if I could talk with the super about the "other approved/mutually agreed upon person" for my son and do the testing under the direction of his speech therapist. Any help you could offer would be so greatly appreciated! I just don't know which way to go and feel like the year is quickly approaching the end! Thanks so much! P.S. We are in Warren Co. and submit to the county super not the local since we are in "local" district.

mamaneedham is offline Senior Member

I use a similar mix of T4L and other curricula for my kids, and my son is in speech therapy also. I don't involve his speech therapist at all in our portfolio review. That's a private issue that we keep separate from the homeschooling stuff.

If your child will have trouble testing, just go the route of getting an assessment done. It's easy! Talk to other homeschooling moms who have done it before and find yourself a portfolio assessor who has a reputation for being understanding or for assessing kids with speech issues. As for using the printable T4L reports in your assessment, yes that is very appropriate and I've done that myself, supplemented with a few other things, like pictures of our science fair projects and field trips and a few sample pages from worksheets or other things we've done that year.

Any portfolio assessor who is a certified teacher will understand where you're coming from with the speech and other issues. Shouldn't be a problem at all. I don't think it is necessary to complicate things by requesting another person mutually agreed upon by you and the Superintendent, but of course you could certainly do that. Remember, the law states the child is supposed to make adequate progress each year according to THEIR ability. While a standardized test compares the student's progress to that of many other students, a portfolio assessment is more individual and compares yearly performance aganist that same student's performance last year.

I think for your situation an assessment is a better choice, but give it some thought and definitely talk to other moms locally and see who everyone prefers for their assessments. Keep us updated and let us know what you decide!

My3Bears is offline Junior Member

Smile Thanks!

Thank you so much for the info! You have made doing the portfolio assessment seem so much less stressful! I'm going to go that route rather than stress the kids out over testing! We take photos of everything we do outside of T4L and workbooks so I will compile the T4L reports and have samples from their workbooks and photos from our activities to put together for a portfolio. I do have contact info for local teachers who do portfolios so I'm going to contact them this week and choose one we feel comfortable with. Again, thanks so much!

mamaneedham is offline Senior Member

Glad to help!