What testing will I need to have done, if any for the State of Ohio?
    Shari2002 is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default What testing will I need to have done, if any for the State of Ohio?

My son in currently being homeschooled through an online school, it's not working out for him, I would like to start using T4L as his curriculum. He used this for Title1 with Math and it really helped him, he is on an IEP, placed in 5th grade but working on 3rd grade curriculum. Does anybody else in Ohio use this w/a special needs child? What do you do at the end of the school year re:testing,evals, or portfolio.
    Last edited by Shari2002; 01-24-2012 at 09:55 AM.

momoffive Guest

I homeschool in Ohio. I have two special needs children. I use portfolio evaulation by a certified teacher. She knows my children's abilities and disabilities and evaluates accordingly.

momoffive, thanks for the reply, how do I find a certified teacher? I live by Youngstown, Ohio...If I do find somebody, what do they need to know and is there a certain form they need to fill out? I started T4L last week, I really want to remove my son from the on-line school, but I want to make sure I have all my "ducks" in a row before so my school district can't come after me.

We live by Youngstown, Ohio, how do I find a certified teacher to evaluate a portfolio, I know a special needs teacher, but she wants specifics and I have no idea where to look for answers to her questions. Do you know of any teachers that I could contact?
    Thanks,
    Shari

mamaneedham is offline Senior Member

Shari,

In my experience, the best way to find teachers who do portfolio evaluations is to ask other homeschooling moms locally. Whether or not they use T4L is irrelevant; you just want someone who's used a local teacher for a portfolio review. If you don't know other homeschoolers near you, it's time to find ways to connect with some!

Have you joined any local support groups? I don't live near you, but you could try searching Yahoo Groups for homeschoolers near Youngstown, and do some googling for groups nearby. The only thing I wouldn't suggest doing is asking your local school district to recommend someone!

I'm sure you won't have any trouble finding several reviewers to choose from, once you're plugged in to the local homeschooling community. Let us know how it goes for you!
    Mom to five of the world's most incredible kids, and homeschooling all the way!

"If the schools were perfect, I would still homeschool my children - because it isn't about school. It's about families taking back their children and educating them as they see best. School is only a substitute for the real thing."

Nutrition Curriculum For Homeschoolers at NutritionForHealthyKids.com

I joined the Youngstown Area Homeschoolers a few years ago, I did ask for suggestions on a certified teacher, one mom says that she has a retired teacher who also has a special needs grandchild, (and that she probably would take on more) when I asked for her info, or to forward my info that she can contact me...she quit responding to me messages. I called a teacher that works at another eschcool, she use to work at the autism school my son attended for few years. She was hesitant and wanted specifics. I also contacted HSLDA, am considereing signing up w/them..hate to spend the money though..but I want to make sure I do everything correct. I definantly stay away from my school district like the plague! Thanks again! PS I thought I linked this to my email, but it doesn't show up.

rdhdwmn is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default List of teachers who do reviews

Here are a couple of Facebook homeschool groups that you might want to check out.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/7406...group_activity

https://www.facebook.com/groups/SHSNEOH/

Recently this information was posted on one of these facebook pages.

Here is a list of Teachers who do Portfolio and end of year reviews.
    The only one I really know about is Diane Monreal. From what I know, she travels around to local libraries at the end of the year. You set up a time to meet with her at your local library where she does the review.

My name is Alene Tuttle and I am a homeschool mom
    of eight children and a certified teacher. I am familiar with the various
    methods of homeschooling and am happy to meet with people throughout the year
    to discuss their homeschool needs. I also offer the testing option for those
    who prefer. I have available the names of other families for whom I do
    assessments for if you would like to speak with any of them. I have dates
    available for reviews throughout Cuyahoga, Lake, Geauga, and Ashtabula
    counties. I can be reached at 440-975-0818 or by email at [email protected]

My name is Diane Monreal and I am a home educating
    mom of 3 children and an Ohio certified teacher. I taught in Willowick and East
    Cleveland before homeschooling my children. I have been doing portfolios since
    the 1995-1996 school year and am comfortable with assessing unschoolers,
    curriculum users and those using a mixture of methods. I would be happy to meet
    with you in Lake, Geauga, Cuyahoga, or surrounding counties. My number is
    440-357-1869 or [email protected] you have any questions.

Dawn Ciferno: I am a homeschooling mom of 3, well almost my littlest
    is 6mths! I am a permanently certified teacher with 9 years experience. I have
    done assessments for the last 2 years. I am comfortable with all teaching
    methods. My family educates in a more relaxed to unschooling style than formal
    style of teaching. I have assessed for families in Geauga, Ashtabula, and
    Trumbull counties. I live in Chardon.
    [email protected]
    440-474-9574

Hi! My name is Yvette Slusarski. I am an Ohio
    certified teacher and a mom who is homeschooling her children. I have 12+ years
    teaching experience.I have worked with families curriculum planning and
    evaluating as well as private tutoring. I have had experience working with
    children of all ability levels. For further information and/or to
    schedule an appointment for portfolio reviews contact me at [email protected] or 440-461-6619.

My name is Tracey Evans and I have been doing
    homeschool assessments for 6 years. I was a teacher in the Perry Local School
    District (high school) for 10 years before I resigned to stay home and
    homeschool my children. My children are currently 11, 9, 5, and 2.
    I am used to reviewing a number of different styles of homeschooling and have an easy-going
    style for assessing. My number is 440-479-2006. Please call if you have any
    further questions.

I hope that this information is helpful!