Homeschooler moving from FL to OK
    jencastleberry is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Homeschooler moving from FL to OK

Hello,
    My name is Jenny and I am new here on this website. I am looking for information on what needs to be done legally and the correct way to go about "transferring" my homeschooling from FL to OK. Florida's homeschooling is a bit differently, to get started here I had to send in a form and written letter to the district superintendent of my intent to homeschool my eldest daughter. We are in the middle of redoing her Kindergarten year since she did not pass last year. I believe the schools are a bit more strict here without the ability to give more one on one time, my daughter however could not keep up, and thus we are now homeschooling and I'm happy to say she has done wonderfully on learning everything and more with the curriculum we are working with. Now back to the topic, lol sorry, I do know that once we have moved I am to write another letter with my intent on termination of her homeschooling in the county we are in now, all with in 30 days. What is also putting a kink in all this and stressing me to the max is we are unsure of exactly which town, county or district we shall be moving too. My husband is currently in the Navy and we are getting out and moving back to our home state! Depending on what job he is able to obtain is on where we will be moving to through the rest of the year. This is my first year homeschooling and would like some advice on what I should do. Thank You all so much!!
    Jenny

katshu2 is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hi Jenny, and welcome! Oklahoma is the easiest state in the country to homeschool in. Really, lol. It's the only state with a constitutional provision guaranteeing the right to homeschool. Cool, huh?

There are no statutes, no required testing...you don't even have to notify the state/county that you are homeschooling. Here are the Oklahoma homeschool laws, if you want to reference them for yourself. I would say do everything you need to do in Fl to make sure you guys remove yourself from the state correctly, then you're on your way.

Good luck! Always feel free to ask any questions you may have. Looking forward to chatting with you more...
    Katie
    Coffee drinker, gadget addict, proud geek.
    Accidentally homeschooling since 2005!

Thank You for replying, I can not wait for our move next week, this has taken a load of stress off me.

katshu2 is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    Thank You for replying, I can not wait for our move next week, this has taken a load of stress off me.
    I'm so glad I could help! Good luck with the move, and remember to check back in to let us know how everything is going.
    Katie
    Coffee drinker, gadget addict, proud geek.
    Accidentally homeschooling since 2005!

AngieJFam Guest

What county are/did you move into?