How do I level my kid up in grades? (post from older state group)
    katshu2 is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Default How do I level my kid up in grades? (post from older state group)

1. TulsaMom - 11-18-2010, 10:20 AM - permalink
      I do actually plan on putting my kid back in normal school. Not sure if I am going to wait till he is at high school level or if I will do this next year at the moment. I am curious as to how I advance him. Is there somewhere he has to go to test up or will my own graded transcripts work? I do not want him to be held back in public school and have to repeat work he has already done. So I am trying to make sure all my basis are covered. I have been searching the web and local links, but I can not seem to find anything on this subject. Can anyone help?
    2. bailbrae - 11-19-2010, 07:54 AM - permalink
      Oklahoma doesn't require you to keep transcripts, nor does it require you to test your child(ren). Having said that, I have no personal experience with placing my homeschooled child back into public school, so I'm not sure how that would go. I would imagine that they place him in the grade that you say he should be in. I'm sorry I don't have anything concrete. Hopefully another member has some experience with that and can share it.
    3. TulsaMom - 11-20-2010, 05:05 PM - permalink
      The information I am finding is telling me exactly what you have said! That is why I was curious because it seems they would want something. I would hate to put him back in school and then them say, well he has to go back to the grade he left in ><. I am still debating on whether he should do all of middle school at home then go back to public for high school. That is not something I feel I could complete with him at home.
    4. bailbrae - 11-21-2010, 10:06 AM - permalink
      I know what you mean, TulsaMom... my son started 6th grade this year and the topic of "what are you going to do for high school" has come up a lot. It's extremely intimidating. However, it really is one of those things that I just keep telling myself "we'll cross that bridge..." I know that I am doing everything I can to make sure that each year goes as well as it can... if it comes up that he needs, or wants, to go to public high school, all I can do is pray that what I did with him was enough.
    Katie
    Coffee drinker, gadget addict, proud geek.
    Accidentally homeschooling since 2005!

poycey is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default grade level and curricula decisions

My son starts 6th grade this fall, having been home schooled since 1st grade. We have used the Calvert curriculum plus Saxon math consistently. I am tired of the textbook approach, however, and am going to try a new approach for middle school, though we are sticking with the Saxon math.He is enrolled in Landry Academy for two online classes, each of which meet for 90 minutes once a week. The demonstration classes sold him and me. There is homework given by the teacher to do until they meet again via the computer. I have yet to find anyone who uses this, but the curricula are impressive and the teachers I observed were great. I like that it is a sophisticated Christian approach. The free seminars, to which I'm invited as I provided my email, are really good, ranging in topics from
    dissection of a sheep's heart to homeschool issues. As for re-entering public school, I think they take your word for grade placement, though they may do some testing. Since we have chosen Landry for science and history, I am thinking of doing Language Arts online. Does anyone out there use T4L exclusively for one or more subjects at this grade level?

katshu2 is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hi there! My oldest just finished 6th grade with T4l, and has been using the program since his 2nd grade year. We do use T4L as our core. I can't say that we use T4L exclusively...we use Spelling City to supplement spelling, vocabulary and handwriting. He reads all the time and loves to do Science experiments and such. Other than that, we don't use anything formally for any other subject. Hope that helps, at least a little.
    Katie
    Coffee drinker, gadget addict, proud geek.
    Accidentally homeschooling since 2005!