Just starting homeschooling in NW OKC
    kjtyler Guest

Thumbs down Just starting homeschooling in NW OKC

Hello! I am a mom of four! My oldest is 7 with the other three being ages 3,2, and 1. I recently withdrew my !st grader from public school because she was falling through the cracks of the system, and not in the traditional way. She is very intelligent and gifted. The school was refusing to test her until middle of the year and then still refused to bump her up grades once she tested out. Her teacher unfortunately was not willing to work with us on challenging her. I feel I have made the right decision however, I am tad bit overwhelmed and not exactly sure where to start. Does anyone have any suggestions??

lovehmschlg is offline Forum Moderator

Hello, kjtyler.

I understand your frustration! I think you're making a good choice and your daughter will do well learning at home, especially in a 1-1 setting....and with mom, who knows her best and can challenge her as needed
    Since you are new to homeschooling, this free Welcome to Homeschool Guide for Families should be very helpful for you.

I would recommend that you review your state’s legal requirements before choosing any curriculum. Here is a link for Information on Homeschooling in Oklahoma. And this is a legal analysis of the Oklahoma homeschooling laws. Each state has different homeschool laws and they tend to change from time to time. So I think that the Homeschool Legal Defense would be a good source of information regarding the laws.

I know it can seem scary and maybe even overwhelming at first. I remember when I first started. But if you do your research, mainly regarding the laws, and are sure to adhere to them, then the rest will all fall into place. It will almost come natural to you to teach your kids.

I like Time4Learning because all the lessons are already set up for us in an organized format. It takes away most of the lesson planning. And I appreciate the Progress Reports which track my daughter's scores and makes record-keeping easier. And of course, my daughter enjoys it and is showing good progress.

Best wishes to you!
    Janet
    enjoying homeschooling and learning with my kids, using T4L and T4W
    blogging our homeschool experiences at The Learning Hourglass

kprepunzel is offline Junior Member

Go to OCHEC.com (and their Facebook page) and then try to attend the convention in the spring. They are great sources of information and support. I am in NW OKC and have homeschooled all 3 of my kids. (8y-3rd g, 12y-7g, 14yr-9g) The key is to know your "why" for homeschooling, know "what" you want them to learn, and then figuring out the "how". I have found that being flexible is key because each child is different and curriculums need to help you reach the goals you have for your family not make you fit a mold (this is what public school does). Wishing you success!

kprepunzel is offline Junior Member

Oh!.... RESEARCH! Explore the options you have in curriculum. I just started T4L but you are already making a great start here.