In need of some support..
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By MamaToHerRoo

Thread: In need of some support..

jkersey Guest

Default In need of some support..

I am contemplating taking on the responsibility of homeschooling. I will have two children ages 11 and 9. I have plenty of time and financial resources. However, I am not very great at online researching. What I have gathered from what I read, for Oklahoma specifically, is that I can just simply decide to homeschool with my own chosen curriculum and activities. I do not have to prove to anyone that I am actually homeschooling my children. I just teach them the recommended subjects in whatever way I want to. Is this actually true? My children are not required to take any tests if I homeschool them? I will definitely be keeping a portfoilio for each child as a means of organizing what they have learned and done. What I am looking for here is some explanation as to how a curriculum is chosen, what a typical day looks like, opportunities for socialization, where did you find your resources, and any information anyone would like to share with me regarding their own personal experiences and accomplishments. Also, I have never been what I would consider intelligent in all subjects. I have never been a teacher. I wonder just how much my children would benefit from me as their teacher. Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

MamaToHerRoo is offline Senior Member

Hi, and welcome to Time4Learning. I am not familiar with the laws for homeschooling in Oklahoma, but I would direct you to A2Z Home's Cool Oklahoma page.
    As far as how a curriculum is chosen, this is vary individual. How do your children learn best? By listening to the information, seeing the information, hands on? Choose a curriculum that works with their learning style, and your teaching style. You do not have to be a teacher to homeschool. In some ways it is good if you are not, because you might be willing to try some ways of teaching that are unconventional! We chose Time4Learning because it works with the way my daughter learns, and on the plus side for me, the lessons are planned, presented, and graded. The program keeps excellent, sortable records. We have been at homeschooling for over 7 years now, and I have finally "farmed out" a high school paragraphs course, not because I couldn't teach it, but because my daughter needed to have the experience of learning from someone else. (We used Time4Writing High School Paragraphs.) Honestly, I never thought I could homeschool, but it has been the best thing for me, my daughter, and my family. It allows her to learn at her own pace, and allows us freedom as a family because we do not have to answer to the school schedule. You can do this, and there are always knowledgeable people here on the forum to help you out should you have questions. Best of luck!
    Kallen69 likes this.
    Linda
    Homeschooling one for 8 years and counting!

Kallen69 is offline Junior Member Newbie

I'm sure by now that you have figured out some resources but just in case you haven't here is a link that everyone suggested to me when I started in April. https://www.ochec.com/Categories.aspx?Id=Basic_Steps OCHEC breaks down what to expect in Oklahoma. Another place that I have found for curriculum was Mardels. The are always very helpful.

That is my two cents.

Best wishes,

K.

Vicci is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Re: In need of some support..

Hi KJersey;

It sounds too easy, I know. But Oklahoma is a very relaxed state for homeschooling laws. you can also go to HSLDA and peek at their Oklahoma State guidelines. I have membership here, and its well worth it! I hope this helps!

Testa is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Re: In need of some support..

In Oklahoma you just withdraw them and put you are homeschooling. That is all for the rest of your homeschooling careee (until highschool) anyways. You choose what best suits your children for curriculum. What city are you in? That will help narrow down socialization opportunities. Don't stress about not being smart enough!