My son hates learning
" "

Default My son hates learning

My son is so difficult. He refuses to do any kind of learning. I have taken all tv and video games, almost all of his toys, and tried every form of behavioral correction that I can think of. I am losing my mind. He will not write a sentence by himself. He will not do a simple math problem by himself. He complains, screams, throws things, destroys things, and uses all manner of behavior to escape any form of learning. He even refuses to do art or play educational games with me. I am at a complete loss and I am going insane. My son was diagnosed with ASD and hyperkinesis at 5, and has never loved to learn, but things are getting dire. What really kills me is that he is smart. He does mental math that I still can't do. He pretends not to know the answer to escape. I just don't know what to do. He will not even finish one of the writing assignments that come with his language arts.

Administrator hearthstone_academy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: My son hates learning

I'm so sorry. I have a son with autism and Down syndrome, so I know how challenging behavior issues can be. Is your son noncompliant with other things or just with school work?

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

He us basically defiant in everything that we do. We are working on it. He really does not like the new TV rules, nor is he happy about seven day a week school. But he will get over it. Sometimes I think he just needs to realize that I am more stubborn than him.

Junior Member Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by harrama1 View Post
    My son is so difficult. He refuses to do any kind of learning. I have taken all tv and video games, almost all of his toys, and tried every form of behavioral correction that I can think of. I am losing my mind. He will not write a sentence by himself. He will not do a simple math problem by himself. He complains, screams, throws things, destroys things, and uses all manner of behavior to escape any form of learning. He even refuses to do art or play educational games with me. I am at a complete loss and I am going insane. My son was diagnosed with ASD and hyperkinesis at 5, and has never loved to learn, but things are getting dire. What really kills me is that he is smart. He does mental math that I still can't do. He pretends not to know the answer to escape. I just don't know what to do. He will not even finish one of the writing assignments that come with his language arts.

There must be something he likes to do ....? e.g. cooking ? camping or any hobby ? Every child is provided with a set of poker cards. Some child has 3 Kings and 2 Queens. Some child only has 1 or 2 or 3 etc...

But it is the parents job to maximize his poker card. I would say start with some kind of hobby.

Hobby can make a real man. One day he could be a camping survival expert or own a fishing tacker hut down the corner. Or he could turn out to be a great chef ?

Junior Member Newbie

He us basically defiant in everything that we do. We are working on it. He really does not like the new TV rules, nor is he happy about seven day a week school. But he will get over it. Sometimes I think he just needs to realize that I am more stubborn than him.
    try to incorporate some sort of learning games.

Junior Member Newbie

I think that we need to change the approach to learning, to find that form of presentation of material that will be of interest to the child.

Don't worry harrama! Never and ever force your kid to write the assignments, even though if you make him to write the assignments without any interest then probably he can't gain knowledge even though he is writing. It is an empty mind working without any interest. Better you make him to realise the importance of learning and writing assignments which should make him to feel that he should write and learn.