requirements needed for homeschooling highschool
    Miya is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default requirements needed for homeschooling highschool

I want to homeschool my daughter for high school. Is there any other requirement needed for homeschooling for high school.

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Default Re: requirements needed for homeschooling highschool

Hi, Miya. First, I'll suggest you visit the Let's Homeschool High School site as often as you need to!

All fifty states allow a parent to issue a homeschool diploma for their own child. Employers are not allowed to discriminate against a homeschool diploma and colleges are more interested in a student's entrance exam scores than in how they learned what they know. Many colleges actively recruit homeschooled students.

Despite the above, PUBLIC schools do not have to accept non-public-school work for credit . . . so, before beginning to homeschool for high school, be sure you intend for your child to graduate from your home school.

Each state has its own homeschool laws, and they are all very different. You want to follow your state's homeschool laws if you want your child's homeschool diploma to be "legitimate". People are usually surprised to find that homeschool laws do not require you to "turn in" your child's work or to use any particular curriculum. They might, in very general terms, specify that you must teach certain subjects (such as "math" or "science"), but they don't dictate the content of those subjects.

When homeschooling, you decide what your child must do to graduate from your family's home school. You decide how mamy credits they need and in what subjects they need them. You decide what equals a credit. Many parents look at various high schools' graduation requirements online and model their requirements after some of those. Each high school will have different graduation requirements.

Here is an article from the Let's Homeschool High School site called Defending the Diploma.

I hope this helps you get started!

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!