Have you heard about this change in the law.
    fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Default Have you heard about this change in the law.

I got this in my email today. I was wondering what you thought about it.

Just wanted to let you all know what I have learned first hand from the PA. Dept. of Ed.. Apparently the compulsory age law has changed, this is what Suzanne Tallman has sent me:

" Just to follow-up with you, there has been a change in the law. Previously, children would not need to be enrolled in school if they turned 8 after the first two weeks of school. Then the law was amended with the highlighted "at least" the first two weeks. The difference is that a school district now can say that they accept students all year round and therefore a student should be enrolled as soon as a child turns 8 years old. Of course, the other options still apply: private school, private tutoring and homeschooling (charter and cyber charter schools are public schools).

24 P.S. § 13-1304 Admission of beginners

(a) School districts shall admit beginners to the public schools during at least the first two weeks of the annual school term in districts operating on an annual promotion basis and during the first two weeks of either the first or the second semester of the school term in districts operating on a semi-annual promotion basis; thereafter, the admission of beginners shall be at the discretion of each school district.

Therefore, if your daughter is now 8 years old and the school district insists, you indeed will need to declare some educational option."

Has anyone else encountered this or heard about this? I am confused as to how the words 'at least' can change the law so that the school now has the say in when you have to declare an educational option.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota

Kate is offline Junior Member

I just spent some time looking up House Bill 1352 as it relates to your post, and found that the wording that was inserted/changed is the underlined below:

24 P.S. § 13-1304 Admission of beginners
    (a) School districts shall admit beginners to the public schools during at least the first two weeks of the annual school term in districts operating on an annual promotion basis and during the first two weeks of either the first or the second semester of the school term in districts operating on a semi-annual promotion basis; thereafter, the admission of beginners shall be at the discretion of each school district.

And my current school district has wording that says, SC 1304, 1326: "Beginners are students entering the lowest grade of the primary school above the
    kindergarten level. Beginners shall be admitted to school only during the first two (2) weeks of the annual school term, and thereafter at the district’s discretion. A child who is eight (8) years of age shall be admitted to school at any time during the school year."

So, the question is, are newly enrolled homeschoolers considered "beginners" in the eyes of the law? I'm guessing that they are if they have never been enrolled prior, even if they have been learning all along and are at a different grade level. At any rate - thanks for posting your information. Without it, I would have surely have been out of compliance with the law when my son turns 8 next year - after the first two weeks of the school year. I thought I had at least one more year before I had to enroll him. I will definitely have to research this some more.