Hi. from Bradford County
    Gail is offline Junior Member

Default Hi. from Bradford County

Hi
    I live in Bradford County, Pennsylvania and have been doing Time 4 Learning since last April for my now 4 1/2 year old daughter. We are going to begin homeschooling her for Kindergarden, as if I have not been this whole time. I have only been living in Pennsylvania for about 1 1/2 years and want to make sure we are following the laws for homeschooling. If I understand this correctly, she does not get tested by the state until she is 8 years old and I do not have to do anything with the school district until then. I am also looking for a local homeschool group but when was on the website everything seemed a distance away. Do you know of any groups in this area.
    Thank you
    Gail

luv2learn is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Re: Hi. from Bradford County

Hi Gail,

I have copied the following info from the Pennsylvania Dept. of Education and as long as your daughter has not been in any school at grade or above, then you do not have to notify the school. If she'll be eight within two weeks of the beginning of school, then you have to notify them at that time. I hope this answers that question.
    As far as any homeschool groups in Bradford, I do not know of any. I will search for some and get back to you. Places you should contact are the library, YMCA (if you have one), and 4-H clubs. I was in Bradford County last week and saw a banner about joining the 4-H. The library in Montrose has a homeschool program once a month, but I don't know how far you are from there. I will post any more information I can find.

When do I need to file an affidavit?

You must file an affidavit for each child you will be homeschooling when he or she is between the ages of 8 to 17. (24 P. S. 13-1326 - compulsory school age) You must file an affidavit when you begin the home education program and annually thereafter by August 1.

If your child turns eight before or during the first two weeks of the annual school term, or within the first two weeks of the second semester, if the school district in which you reside promotes students semi-annually, the affidavit needs to be filed by the child's birth date. If the child turns 8 during the school term, the affidavit should be filed prior to the beginning of the next school year. (24 P.S. 13-1304 - admission of beginners). If the child has attended any school in grade 1 or above, you must file an affidavit whenever you begin homeschooling, regardless of the child's age. (24 P.S. 24 13-1326)

HAPPY HOMESCHOOLING!
    Lori

SahmIam is offline Senior Member

Hi Gail. Welcome to T4L!
    Melissa.

Gail is offline Junior Member

Thank you Lori

We go to the Towanda Library for storytime every week and I asked about homeschool groups, but they do not have one. I am going to check the Bradford County library and the YMCA this week. I am not sure where Montrose is but I am also going to check that out too. My sweet girl is 4 1/2 and attends PK-4 at a Catholic School, my husband is thinking about having her start public kindergarden so she can make some friends, we have only lived here for alittle over a year and do not know too many people. We do not want to go further than Kindergarden though. I am not sure that is a good idea, can you tell me what you think. I do appreciate any help you can give me. Again, thank you.
    Gail