Lansdale Discovery Co-op
    fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Default Lansdale Discovery Co-op

Thought some of you might be interested in this.

Greetings.

On Friday, September 13th, we will host a tour and Q&A for our co-op that meets on Fridays at the Indian Valley Boys & Girls Club. Come take a look at the facility we use weekly from September through May. After the tour, weather permitting, we'll walk to the park that is adjacent to the Club to have lunch under the pavilion together. Our fall session begins on September 13th and will end on December 6th.

Lansdale Discovery Co-op began in September 2011. Since then, we've continued to meet weekly to give our children the opportunity to develop friendships and a sense of community with other home-educated and cyber-schooled children. We have three sessions a year (session one from Sept-Dec., session two from Jan.-March, and session three from March-May) and have a variety of classes that meet for anywhere from 45 min to 75 minutes. Our day goes from 10 AM to 2 PM. We have lunch together each day & have several periods of free time.

Our co-op is aimed at children aged five and older, with children below five participating when possible, and staying with their parents at other times. To view the B&GC, see this link and the "Indian Valley Tour" at the bottom: http://www.npvclub. org/tour. php . Some parent-led classes we've run in the last two years have been calligraphy, chemistry, meteorology, physics, karate, book club, cooking, writing and Spanish. Class possibilities for this session include basic knitting, creative writing, ancient history projects, cooking around the world and more.

We are an inclusive group of families representing a variety of home education styles. As a parent-run co-op, we all participate in a variety of ways, including but not limited to leading classes, assisting with classes, setup and cleanup, and maintaining the Yahoo group we have.

Lastly, here is what some of the parents and children who took part in co-op had to say about the experience:

"I like gym and art and writing, too. The playground is fun and I made new friends. The babies are cute and fun and I love playing air hockey and ping pong with my friends!" (age 6)

"I' ve met some new friends. There is so much to do. There are LEGO tables, and being able to play pool and air hockey is great!"

"Co-op is an awesome place to learn, meet new friends and eat lunch." (age 10)

"Lansdale Discovery Co-op has been a wonderful opportunity for us. The location at the Boys and Girls Club was wonderful because it allowed Hanna (age 9) to play, run and jump on the indoor play area and the gym. When the weather was too cold to allow for outdoor activities we always had Fridays to look forward to. It has been a chance for both myself and Hanna to make wonderful new friends as well. We've already learned so many fun things through our activities and are looking forward to more field trips and learning opportunities in the coming school year."

Please feel free to forward this message to any other home-educating or cyber-schooling family you think may be interested in our co-op. To RSVP or for further information, please send an email to Susanne: Susanne at thestarkmans dot net. If you are interested but unable to make it on the 13th, please let us know. We may be able to arrange an alternate plan.

We look forward to hearing from you!

Sincerely,

Susanne Starkman
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota

Default test

test - - - - - -