looking for interesting and helpful phonics
    cindik Guest

Default looking for interesting and helpful phonics

I am a new homeschool mom who is interested in phonics support for a 1st grade boy. We are a family who values books ... and he struggles more than his twin sister (who is actually a grade ahead of him, which causes its own interesting dynamics).

Just curious what folks may have found useful or NOT useful!

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

I think the main think to remember is that it is not unusual for boys to be slower than girls at reading. Children develop at different rates, even twins. I have an eight year old that is still a reluctant reader. But I am confident that he will caught up to his peers when he is ready. This year I have seen a marked improvement in his reading level. I know it's hard not to compare our children but we really have to try.

As far as phonics programs, we used All About Spelling for a while. Another thing my son still likes is The Letter Factory and The Word Factory videos by Leap Frog. They were a great investment. And read to him, a lot. The best way to encourage reading in our children is by reading to them and by them seeing us read for pleasure.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota