Question about leaving public school and where to begin with the work...

Question Question about leaving public school and where to begin with the work...

Hello,My daughter is just starting this curriculum even though I have not formally withdrew her from school yet. I still have some things to take care of such as teh letter of intent and whatnot. I was very sure about homeschooling her and now I am getting nervous and almost having second thoughts. She has completed most of the year in a public school. I have a question regarding the lesson plans. Does she have to start from the beginning being that she has already learned a lot of the stuff or should I start where I feel she has left off? I know this should be self explanatory but I am little confused on this because I want to her to be able to get credit for as much as possible. Being that she is almost 3/4 of the way done with this school year, I don't want to have to start her from the beginning but I also don't want to have her not be able to advance to third grade if we feel that maybe this might not be the way for us. I do want the option that she can go back one day and be able to continue in the appropriate grade for her age. Plus, I feel that the school has it in for us because of our personal choices with which they do not agree with. The last thing I need is them causing trouble for my family. I attempted to withdraw her yesterday and they made a big deal out of it telling me that if I just didn't send her, she would be marked as an unexcused absence and that I couldn't just withdraw without a proper curriculum in place. This is why I signed up for this to give me some guidance. Homeschooling is very. very rare where we are and is almost NEVER seen unless it is through an online cyber charter school. So in all honesty, I feel very alone. Thank you very much and I'm sorry it's so long. I just have a lot on my mind.

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

There are many many good homeschool support groups throughout the state. Find one near you and get settled in with it. You will find the support for you as the mom to be maybe even more important than the support your daughter gets.

As far as the curriculum goes there are a few ways to approach it. Many parents start at the beginning but they only do the chapter tests. This way it is like a review of what the child has learned in school and it tells you any areas they may be missing. If your daughter does well in a chapter test you can then move on to the next test. If she doesn't do as well you can go back and do the lessons and then take the test over again. This will help build her confidence in what she does already know. Other parents just start halfway or three quarters of the way through the work depending on how much of the school year is left. The problem I have with this method is that not every school works through things in the same order. One school may work on multiplication at the beginning of the school year and another may work on it at the end of the year. So there is the chance that some things could be missed this way. Since most things are worked through over and over again throughout elementary school your daughter will get it again if she misses it this year. So either method works. It just depends on your child and her needs.

The superintendent of schools in your school district does have the right to ask for your plan of education. But they do not have the right to judge whether it is sufficient or not. Here is a good copy of the law. If you need to print it out and take it with you when you withdraw your child.

Please let us know if you come up with any specific issues that we can help with. Also let us know how your journey is going. Best wishes to you and your daughter.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota

Thank you replying so quickly. We have decided to start from the beginning so that she can review on the things she has already learned and then I will have a better idea of where she is academically. The school she is in is all over the place with their lessons. I'm happy to say that she is doing well so far and brushing up on the stuff she has already learned. She seems to do so much better with this curriculum and with the help and reassurance from me.

Blog Entries

Sounds like you have a plan going. Keep in touch and let us know how things work out for you.

Susan Steiner is offline Junior Member Newbie

I also took my daughter out mid year. She was behind in her grade though, so we started right from the beginning. We are still pretty overwhelmed but I have been told to relax. Good luck. I was told that it would help to know the PA law when the school district gives you a problem.

Blog Entries

Yes Susan, absolutely carry a copy of the law with you whenever dealing with the school district. If they start to tell you something that is not in the law pull it out and ask them to show you. That will usually stop them every time.

I tell all new parents to relax. You are not going to harm your child. It's not as hard as it seems. Connect with a good local homeschool support group. Those are the most important things to remember.