Hello,

I currently live in New Jersey and plan to homeschool my son starting this fall, Sept 2014 (when he would enter kindergarten). The homeschool law in NJ is very simple and basically doesn't have a lot of requirements for parents.

We are thinking about moving to Pennsylvania, but as I am researching the laws of homeschooling in PA, I see that things seems much more complicated.

From what I understand (according the HSLDA) there are 5 options for homeschooling in PA. Option 1 requires parents to file all kinds of paperwork with the local school district, as well as show portfolios to superintendents, have children evaluated and take standardized tests, etc.

Option 2 states that a person who is a teacher certified in the Commonwealth of PA can homeschool his/her children as a "private tutor." So my question here is...

WITH OPTION 2, IS A PARENT REQUIRED TO FOLLOW ALL THE RULES OF OPTION 1? (FILING PAPERWORK, HAVING A PORTFOLIO ANALYZED, HAVING CHILDREN EVALUATED AND TAKE STANDARDIZED TESTS, ETC.) OR ARE THOSE REQUIREMENTS WAIVED IF THE PARENT IS A CERTIFIED TEACHER IN PA?

I am currently a certified teacher in NJ, and I would be willing to get certified in PA if I could avoid all the hassle of having to prove myself and my children to the local school district. I do not want to have to deal with/answer to the local school district.

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide to me!