View Poll Results: Which educational methods have you tried?

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • Public school

8 72.73%
  • Private school

2 18.18%
  • Charter school

0 0%
  • Public school at home (like K12 or Connections Academy)

2 18.18%
  • Homeschool under an umbrella school

1 9.09%
  • Homeschool, going it alone

11 100.00%
  • Other

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
    hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Default Which educational methods have you tried?

Which educational methods have you tried?

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

bailbrae is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

My oldest went to K in public school, and the first two months of 1st there as well. We pulled him out in October of 2005 and he has been homeschooled since. My youngest has never been in a public school. We have never been a part of a charter or virtual school. Unless our circumstances change drastically, I don't see either of those as options. One of our favorite things about homeschooling is the flexibilty to learn on our own time.
    Katie
    Coffee drinker, gadget addict, proud geek.
    Accidental homeschoolers that are now entering their 12th year (2016-17) of homeschooling!

Visit me at You. Me. Us.

MamaToHerRoo is offline Senior Member

My only child went to kindergarten and 1/2 a year of 1st grade in public school. After I pulled her from public school we operated as our own private school until this school year. When I moved to the state I live in now, we had to have an umbrella school, but we can choose as little or as much involvement from the umbrella school as we want. I chose an umbrella school that is very minimalist, very hands off. We do participate in a co-op for extracurricular classes, but I am still responsible for her core curriculum. We will probably participate more in the co-op next school year.
    Linda
    Homeschooling one for 8 years and counting!

jpenn is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

My DD went to private Christian school when I taught for them. She also tried public school in 1st grade; lasted one or two six week periods before I pulled her back out and put her back in private school. When we moved to GA we put her in the "Best" school in the county....horrible! We pulled her out toward the end of January and homeschooled until she wanted to try junior high. That lasted about 2 months...you got it, another horrifying experience.

We did use K-12 public school at home once and HATED it. Left it mid year. They have all the control and don't bend very easily.

Private school was fine because her teacher was very understanding and the classes were very small. I am certain it would have been too much for her at about 3rd grade though had we stayed.
    Joyfully,
    Jackie

mamaneedham is offline Senior Member

I pulled my kids out after one had just finished 2nd grade and one had just finished kindergarten. My younger three kids have never been to public school. Oh....and they never will!
    Mom to five of the world's most incredible kids, and homeschooling all the way!

"If the schools were perfect, I would still homeschool my children - because it isn't about school. It's about families taking back their children and educating them as they see best. School is only a substitute for the real thing."

Nutrition Curriculum For Homeschoolers at NutritionForHealthyKids.com

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

We have only homeschooled and only used Time4Learning. We have used SuperCharged Science as an additional help because my son loves science so much. And we do lots and lots of field trips.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota

Joyfulmama is offline Senior Member

My son who has special needs went to an awesome preschool program in the public school system. Half-way through kindergarten things fell apart so we started homeschooling. My daughter also went to preschool but she has never stepped foot in a school building.

lovehmschlg is offline Forum Moderator

Our two oldest children went to public school all the way through to graduation from high school.
    Our 3 younger children we homeschooled from the very beginning. We have 2 in homeschool high school (1 is college dual enrolling) and 1 in homeschool elementary (she has Down syndrome). We use Time4Learning with her and she is doing very, very well.
    Janet
    enjoying homeschooling and learning with my kids, using T4L and T4W
    blogging our homeschool experiences at The Learning Hourglass

Ruth_Lanton is offline Member

This is my first year using an online curriculum. I've had my kids in both public and private schools in the past, as well as "unschooling." Unschooling worked great for my daughter, but my son needs more structure. He did great in public school for a while, but last year was absolutely awful for him.

Basically, each year I evaluate what each of the available schools has to offer and how that fits with each of my children's current needs.