Am I a bad mom for letting my kid play on smartphone?
    MonicaH is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Am I a bad mom for letting my kid play on smartphone?

My husband has been constantly criticising me for letting my daughter play games on smartphone at the age of 5. He says that it's harmful for her health as well as her social skills and that I'm totally irresponsible.

In my defence, I only allow my girl to use smartphone for certain amount of time per week and she can only play educational games such as ABC learning or Number learning (https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/kids-number-educational-puzzle-games-for-toddler/id1249917292?mt=8 ) by Vkids under my supervision. I think this kind of games actually boosts her interest in learning and it is good as long as I keep it moderately.

I'm really confused now about my parenting method. Can you help me?

adamson5 is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Re: Am I a bad mom for letting my kid play on smartphone?

Don`t listen to anyone if the question is about your kid. Being a mother means to feel your child instinctively. My neighbor, for example, strongly believes that any game presented through iPad or any other gadgets causes damage to the fragile child`s mind! As for me, I suggest technology being the best friend of children nowadays. My son simply loves his favorite apps Zebrainy ABC Wonderlands https://itunes.apple.com/app/apple-s...165324239?mt=8. It features the adventures of a brave Zebra in fairy alphabet worlds. I wish I could have such possibility of learning letters in my childhood. As a mother, I see how such learning process combined with fun appear to be more effective and less rigidly enforced.
    Last edited by adamson5; 11-29-2017 at 07:35 AM.

whitewisdom is offline Junior Member Newbie

No, I don't think so, as long as you set rules and put limits on letting your kids to use a smartphone.

jese.beard is offline Junior Member

I think no. Just give her limitations in using or playing smartphones and it's always better if she plays educational games. She will enjoy and at the same time she will learn new things.

woodoo is offline Junior Member Newbie

Sure you are now a bad mom because of that! Just let them discover this world by themselves. But it is okay to limit the with their phones) Just let them studying or playing a few hours only

woodoo is offline Junior Member Newbie

Talking Re: Am I a bad mom for letting my kid play on smartphone?

Agree with you guys, don`t think this is irresponsible. Vice versa It is great you let your kid play only educational games. But sure you should limit her time near the phone. By the way, you need to understand there are always disputes between wife and husband about parenting. My wife is a huge vape lover and she was vaping near our kid from time to time. I said her not to do this and showed the article on Vapingdaily about vaping and parenting.
    I think it scared her a little and she saw all the danger of it. I don`t notice she vapes near our kid now)) So it is okay to dispute from time to time))