Help with Pre-K Phonics, please
    DRod84 Guest

Default Help with Pre-K Phonics, please

My daughter is 4 and we are doing preschool at home. Overall she is doing well. She has learned all her colors, color mixing, primary colors, numbers through 20, simple adding and subtracting etc. We are having trouble in phonics though. She knows all the letters and all the sounds they make. If I tell her to write what letter makes "x" sound, she is able to. She is also able to tell me what sound a letter makes. I am having trouble in having her identify words or objects that start with a specific sound. For example, she knows that apple starts with the letter A and that A makes an "ah" and "ay" sound. However, when I show her a group of pictures and ask her to identify which ones start with the letter A sound, she says she doesn't know. I ask her to identify the item in the picture and to say it out loud. Then I ask if it starts with the A sound, she will say that she doesn't know or will guess. So then I will tell her that we are looking for the "ah" sound and I'll identify the object out loud and ask her to listen for the sound and tell me if she hears it. She will again say that she doesn't know or will guess. I don't know if this means that she doesn't actually understand sounds or if I'm doing something wrong in the way that I'm trying to teach her. Any suggestions?

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hi! Since this part of the forum is specifically for issues having to do with homeschooling in California, I will move your post to the preschool forum, where you will probably get more of a response.

I can share that my own kids have done well when presented with just one sound for the vowels to begin with. I teach the short vowels, so "a" would sound like the "a" in apple, actor, acrobat, action, and so forth. Quite a bit later, I teach the long vowel sound (where a vowel says its name). The odd sounds, like the way the letter a sounds in "ball", is taught much, much later.

"A" can be especially confusing when a child is given words like "airplane" and "ball", which do not have the pure short or long sound. I stick to the basics and just make sure the child knows there are other sounds, which we will learn later.

A four-year-old is just beginning to learn letter sounds, so don't stress if she doesn't "get it" right away.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

aandwsmom is offline Senior Member

A four-year-old is just beginning to learn letter sounds, so don't stress if she doesn't "get it" right away.
    EXACTLY!
    4-5 yrs old is just beginning to understand letter phonics. The english language is one of the hardest to learn because it is so confusing anyways.....
    I would just plug along with what you are doing! It sounds like you are doing everything right and one day, it will just click!
    Just because she is a smart 4 yr old.... some things are not a learning thing, they are a brain growth thing so I wouldn't fret yet about not learning letter sounds!!
    Happy Homeschooling!
    Here are some alphabet games that might help: Alphabet Learning Games For Kids | Learning Games For Kids

Planning Mama is offline Junior Member Newbie

Not to promote TV, but PBS has a show called Super Why that is about learning to read, phonics, etc. I let my daughter watch it on occasion and it has helped in some ways as well.

aandwsmom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Planning Mama View Post
    Not to promote TV, but PBS has a show called Super Why that is about learning to read, phonics, etc. I let my daughter watch it on occasion and it has helped in some ways as well.
    Love that show! It is really well put together in how it teaches letters, letter sounds, phonics, etc.

jpenn is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DRod84 View Post
    My daughter is 4 and we are doing preschool at home. Overall she is doing well. She has learned all her colors, color mixing, primary colors, numbers through 20, simple adding and subtracting etc. We are having trouble in phonics though. She knows all the letters and all the sounds they make. If I tell her to write what letter makes "x" sound, she is able to. She is also able to tell me what sound a letter makes. I am having trouble in having her identify words or objects that start with a specific sound. For example, she knows that apple starts with the letter A and that A makes an "ah" and "ay" sound. However, when I show her a group of pictures and ask her to identify which ones start with the letter A sound, she says she doesn't know. I ask her to identify the item in the picture and to say it out loud. Then I ask if it starts with the A sound, she will say that she doesn't know or will guess. So then I will tell her that we are looking for the "ah" sound and I'll identify the object out loud and ask her to listen for the sound and tell me if she hears it. She will again say that she doesn't know or will guess. I don't know if this means that she doesn't actually understand sounds or if I'm doing something wrong in the way that I'm trying to teach her. Any suggestions?
    Hi DRod84,

I posted your question on Facebook. There are quite a few responses for you. Here is the link: https://www.facebook.com/Time4Learni...52024735684501
    Joyfully,
    Jackie

teachforgood is offline Junior Member

She might subconsciously be feeling the pressure during that activity. A lot of kids shut down when you ask them to identify something. My niece does the same so we took it gradually - first we taught her to identify the objects on the flash cards. Then we started connecting phonetics with the object by stressing on the first syllable. Arrange the flash cards on the table, sit her down gently and ask her to pick out things. Rearrange them ever so often.

For example - "Where's the orange?" Once she picks it up, "Orange starts with what sound?" - etc. And then you can slowly transition to 'pick all the cards starting with the "Oh" or "Aw" sound. To supplement her homeschooling curriculum though, I also use the Reading Games from Jumpstart and other websites where you hear the phonics of it. My little one loves Madagascar's "My ABC's" and it's worked really well for her.

Drevik is offline Junior Member

Note to Moderators - If I am not allowed to post about other programs, please remove this post as I do not mean to break rules.

Note to Parents: Not trying to brag, or get in an argument about how much tv to use. I am just sharing what we did to have had success.

My son is currently three and a half. I used a number of dvds to help my son start to read. I used heavy repetition at the early stages, as the Your Baby Can Read Program suggests. My son started at 6 months and may have had better than average results. My husband and I worked with him regularly as well as pointed out words and signs everywhere during the process.
    We used (introduced a new disc once a month and played old discs as reviews from time to time): !) Your Baby Can Read (discs 1-4) demonstrates right to left reading with arrow 2) Preschool Prep Series (Letters(&Phonics) / Numbers/Colors/Shapes/Sight Words) 3) Yo Gabba Gabba (Behaviors) 4) The Electric Company (from the 70s which is better than the current one - this demonstrated sounding out words) 5) Learn to Read Phonics (With Ms Phipps and Snoovy- demonstrates writing letters, phonics and demonstrates as a classroom instructor would 6) Word World and Super Why (demonstrates putting words together, rhyming, analyzing sentences, general problem solving) 7) SIng It Instead CD (for Months of the Years, Days of the Weeks, Metric System etc) 8) Munchkin Math for Time/Shapes and Money 9) Magic School Bus and Beakman's World for beginning science

Admittedly, we also used just about every free and .99 cent educational program available for his Kindle Fire (With an otter case or survivor case). I definitely recommend Stack The States for US Geography, flags, major cities and capitols. I have used too many apps to list here.

We just started using Time4Learning. We moved past the preschool stuff. We are starting him on the first grade science. He is working on testing out of the language arts and math in the kindergarten section. His main problem is handwriting. We are working to get his fingers developed enough for writing better with pencils and pens. He write best with sidewalk chalk. We trade him reading us a bedtime story for us reading one to him. We are very pleased with Time4learning thus far.

How much do I use Time4Learning? As much as my son wants... If he wants to stop, we stop. If he is reluctant to start, I make the announcement that I am logging in and he races to sit on my lap. If he doesn't, I offer again later.