PreK to Kindergarten Question
    sbollinger777 is offline Junior Member

Default PreK to Kindergarten Question

Hello. I am hoping that an experienced mom with kids that have already transitioned from preschool to kindergarten smoothly can offer some advice on how to handle my daughter's moving up. My son attended public school for kindergarten. He was required to know quite a lot (I thought) for a new school starter, but the part time preschool he had attended and some of my prep work helped him meet at least the minimum requirements. He was very small (still is a little for his age) and the teacher helping evaluate the incoming K5 students said because of his size, I could wait another year if I wanted to for him to start school. Well, I didn't, and he did great- socially, and pretty o.k. in most subjects but he bombed in reading! It was horrible! He still hates reading and is a level behind and that's one of the main reasons I now homeschool him. For some students I read that "sight words" can really be a hindrance if pushed so much and can cause dyslexia, which he does have signs of. I plan on focusing WAY much more on phonics with my daughter. Sorry, to be so long winded, but my question is, should I wait until my daughter will be almost 6 to progress to K5 (her birthday is in September) giving her an extra year of preschool or start next fall with K5? She is excelling at math, colors, shapes and everything else but letters. She is very weak on letters and I am working this year a lot on that. I don't want to sabotage her reading future and have the struggles I've had with my son. I still wonder what would have happened had I held him back one year. Seems to make sense, since no matter how much I've worked with him on reading, he is a year behind and progress is soooo difficult! I welcome any advice from other moms. Thanks so much!

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

If you are homeschooling, your daughter can work at a different grade level for each subject. I have always just considered my kids to "be in" the grade that corresponds to their age, regardless of what grade level they are working at. For example, I once had a fifth grader doing third grade math and seventh grade language arts.

Your son is still very young to be considered "behind" in reading. Very young children develop at vastly different rates at this age. Some might be reading phonics readers at age three, and others aren't really reading until grade three! You might want to read the book "Better Late than Early". I don't agree with all of it, but it is food for thought.

Time4Learning presents the online readers at the first and second grade levels in four styles, so you can choose the one that corresponds to your child's reading ability. One style reads the book outright to the student, another reads it and highlights words as they are read, another lets the student read the book but allows them to click on difficult words to have them read aloud, and another just lets the student read.

If your daughter is excelling in math, colors, shapes, and everything else but letters . . . and she is interested in learning . . . you might want to start her in K5 for math and let language arts wait until next year (although Time4Learning language arts is pretty low-key and entertaining).

In general, though, I usually say if you have any doubt, then wait.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Thanks for the advice! I had the same kind of idea today while I was worrying about it- why not just call it K5 but have some stuff at different levels. Also, I still have a long time until next August and a lot could change. I do homeschool and have for just over a year now and am loving it! I just started Time4Learning for him (and still do some other stuff also) and I'm really liking it so far. I think I just worry too much.

Blog Entries

It's normal to worry about our kids, and homeschooling puts a lot of pressure on us moms.

Even schools don't "hold kids back" anymore. They enroll them in the grade level that corresponds to their age and, in my experience, they are usually expected to keep up or catch up. But there will usually be different reading groups in a first grade classroom. "Back in my day", they were called "Advanced Readers", "Average Readers", and "Slow Readers", but nowadays we are more enlightened and we call them "The Blue Group", "The Red Group", and the "Green Group", or cute names like "The Bears", "The Giraffes", and "The Lions".

Glad to have you with us!

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Default Re: PreK to Kindergarten Question

Just found out that the law changed for cut off age for kindergarten in 2014-2015 to August 15 in the state of TN so since her birthday is September, she will not be starting next year since she would still be 4 in August. This is a relief because it gives me more time. Maybe this way I could do the preK with T4L and then k5 the year after. Thanks for your advice.

Blog Entries

Default Re: PreK to Kindergarten Question

Yay! The new law bought her some time, and now she doesn't have to miss the fun preschool lessons. I'm glad this is working out for you both.