Should we move on to kindergarten?
    Chrafre is offline Junior Member

Default Should we move on to kindergarten?

I have a 4.5 year old I was planning to start homeschooling in kindergarten this coming year. We have been doing prek homeschol all year but I started time 4 learning as her primary curriculum about a week ago and she is already on level 2. Should I move forward with kindergarten when she finishes prek 2 since I'm planning on schooling through the summer or should I hold her back until August?

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hi! Here is some information about using the preschool program.

Young children need a lot of repetition. It's usually not just a matter of checking off a lesson as "done" and then they have learned that material and will never forget it. I remember being surprised when my first grader and I spent a couple weeks studying George Washington. We made tri-corn hats and cherry pie and had a great time with it. The following year, when a unit on Presidents came up, I said, "This one is Abe Lincoln and, of course, you know about George Washington." She said, "Who?" When I reminded her, about all she remembered was the cherry pie. A year is a long time to a child that age.

That's a long way of saying my advice is usually to hold back a little. You can re-do the entire program, have her re-visit some of the lessons she especially enjoyed, go back and do some of the Idea Book activities you skipped, have HER teach YOU a lesson, and so forth.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

KGkz is offline Junior Member Newbie

Hello! Looks like we are in the same boat! My son just turned 5 and we will be homeschooling this coming year also. He already completed prek levels 1 and 2 a few months ago. Since then I have him doing the kindergarten work. Repetition is definitely important. I pick and choose activities for him to do. I would say at lease do one activity a day just to keep the mind learning. Once august comes I then plan on putting my son on a set schedule of what activities to complete. For now we are just jumping around activitiesmaking sure hes ready.