Will Time 4 Learning be able to teach my child to read?
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By lamb
  • 1 Post By hearthstone_academy
  • 1 Post By Robin

Thread: Will Time 4 Learning be able to teach my child to read?

Default Will Time 4 Learning be able to teach my child to read?

Wondering if my preschooler will learn to read using this as home school curriculum??

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hi! The preschool program just begins to explain that letters have sounds. The kindergarten program focuses on single phonemes and blends are introduced in first grade. There are little printable readers in kindergarten that mirror the online lessons. My fifth child learned to read solely with Time4Learning. The phonics lessons are systematic and thorough. After teaching the first four to read myself, I was dubious about sitting back and letting a computer program do its work, but she is 13 now and a voracious reader! I did read to her a lot, and encouraged her to sound out words on cereal boxes and signs around town, but all the "formal" reading instruction was done by T4L.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Charity16 is offline Junior Member

Default Re: Will Time 4 Learning be able to teach my child to read?

Hi Kelly! Thank you for such a thorough explanation. I have a question for you. You said reading and blends start at the kindergarten and first-grade levels. I have a four-year old and she already knows each letter and the sounds each makes. I wanted to start her on blends before this year is out. The private school that she was attending before I was able to home-school had the kids blending in K4 (well before starting kindergarten). I am going to keep her on this same track. What suggestions do you have for me in terms of where to start her at in the T4L curriculum?

Thank you so much,
    Charity

lamb is offline Junior Member

My son just started kindergarten, but he can already read short vowel words and some sight words. I started him in k for language arts, but soon moved him to 1st grade. It fits him tons better.
    Thats the nice thing about this curriculum. You can find a place where your child can start, even if it's half way through a subject or in the next grade up.

Charity16 is offline Junior Member

Awesome, thanks Lamb!

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

I agree with lamb. If your student is already blending letter sounds, you might want to use the first grade or even second grade phonics lessons. The REALLY great thing about Time4Learning is that you can go back and forth between grade levels, so you might want to still have your younger student do the non-phonics language arts lessons at a lower level. Even if they know letter sounds quite well, there are other language arts concepts that they might need to learn or review.
    JohnEdelson likes this.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Robin is offline Senior Member

Two of my children learned to read with Time4Learning and nothing else. They started with the kindergarten level.
    JohnEdelson likes this.