Hi just got accepted to homeschool. - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    pcmama98 is offline Junior Member Newbie

Nadine! I am so glad to hear that you were approved form homeschooling your special needs child! I have a 9 year old on the autism spectrum and I live here in Cranston, RI. I am trying to start the homeschooling process for my son now and I only have 3 weeks until school starts! oh boy....lol I was trying to see if an appropriate placement would be provided for my son first, but it seems like they plan to stick him once again in one of their "OSFA-One size fits all" classrooms How did you get them to approve your request? Did you have to submit a curriculum and IEP beforehand?

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Hi PCMama. Welcome to time4learning and the Rhode Island Parent forum. I hope you are able to connect with local homeschool groups in your area. They would be the best ones to offer advice in how to deal with your local school district. Here is a list of some of the local support groups. Here is a sample letter of intent that is sent to the local school district.

I do not see anywhere that requires you to send in curriculum or to have that curriculum approved. You are only required to show:
    a. The period of attendance is “substantially equal” to that of the public schools,
    b. An attendance register is kept, and
    c. The teaching in the required subjects listed above is “thorough and efficient.” R.I. Gen. Laws
    §16-19-2.

I would send the letter of intent and then start schooling your child in the manner you choose. Unless you hear something back from the school I would think you have met their requirements. But as I always say, I am not an attorney. I'm only a homeschool mom who has been doing this for a number of years now.

Good luck as you start this wonderful journey.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota

pcmama98 is offline Junior Member Newbie

thanks for the information fairylover! I will definitely check out those links. Really appreciate that...wish me luck!

Blog Entries

Just relax and enjoy your homeschooling experience. You will be fine.

Unregistered Guest

Quote Originally Posted by pcmama98 View Post
    Nadine! I am so glad to hear that you were approved form homeschooling your special needs child! I have a 9 year old on the autism spectrum and I live here in Cranston, RI. I am trying to start the homeschooling process for my son now and I only have 3 weeks until school starts! oh boy....lol I was trying to see if an appropriate placement would be provided for my son first, but it seems like they plan to stick him once again in one of their "OSFA-One size fits all" classrooms How did you get them to approve your request? Did you have to submit a curriculum and IEP beforehand?
    Hi, in June I spoke with the superintendent, gave her my letter of intent, I printed out a copy of the books that I was going to get, but honestly, I never got the books I was intending to, I showed her the acceptance letter here on time4learning. She was concerned about the interaction with other children, so I joined EnrichRI it's like $21 per year, they have a website, and that was about it. But every city's school district is different. My advice to you is go to HSLDA: Homeschooling Advocates since 1983 they have listed the laws about homeschooling. Well, good luck I hope you don't get any problems about homeschooling through the superintendent. Write anytime to let me know how it goes.

Blog Entries

Joining a local homeschool support group will be the best thing you can do. Your child will benefit from interaction with other children. But as a mom, it is vital for you to connect with other parents. At least it is for me.

Unregistered Guest

Default Textbooks in RI

Districts are required by law to lend textbooks to homeschoolers in RI if you want them. State Statute 16-23-2 speaks to the lending of textbooks. Most homeschoolers in RI choose not to use public school books. Bev

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2