Homeschooling Laws
    Unregistered Guest

Default Homeschooling Laws

Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone more familiar with RI homeschooling laws can tell me if I can homeschool someone else's child. I currently homeschool my own child, but don't know the rules on if I were to homeschool another child.

Thanks.

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Here is an explanation of Rhode Island homeschool laws. I didn't see anything specific about homeschooling someone else's child. But I know that most states do not allow this unless you are set up as a private school. You might want to look in to the requirements for a private school in Rhode Island.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota

Unregistered Guest

Default Thanks

Thanks for the info. I take care of preschoolers and homeschool my daughter. One of the moms that I sit for asked if I could homeschool for Kindergarten. I would love to. To be a private school in RI you need a bachelor's in education which I don't have. Maybe I will check with the school to see if it's still homeschooling if I taught him. Thanks.

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Maybe if you considered him in preK you could get by with teaching him. Or the mom could be listed as his teacher and you are just supplementing what she is doing. I would think as long as she is doing some part of the teaching it would work out. Remember that school does not have to happen between 8 and 3. Many people homeschool after dinner or on weekends. Like I always say, I'm not an attorney, just a homeschooling mom who has been doing this for a while.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota

Unregistered Guest

Default Homeschooling others

RI is silent on homeschooling others children. It does occur but usually the parents file the paperwork with the district. The mandatory age for reporting is age 6 as of September 1st. Until that time you can "teach" in any manner you see fit. Call it a preschool group.

AsmaraHunt is offline Junior Member

Is there any difference between set up your own home as private school or homeschool? I thought both way are the same.

AsmaraHunt is offline Junior Member

Hi...How many hours per week or depends?