Is anyone else opting out of SCPASS
    GinaFann is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Is anyone else opting out of SCPASS

I home school my 10 year old (4th grade) daughter with Cyber Academy of South Carolina. Long story short ... I want to opt out of the SCPASS in May. So yesterday I e-mailed her teacher and asked,

"As far as PASS Testing ... how do her scores affect her grades and/or passing or failing 4th the grade?"

She responded a few minutes later with this, "Her PASS scores will not impact her grades at CASC. They don't give a "grade" or percentage for the required amount but she must pass it in order to move on to the next grade level.

Opting out is legal! So if we opt out she stays back? And how do they know if she passed or failed if they don't grade the tests?

Any help, clarification or advise would be wonderful! Thanks!

Autdad is offline Junior Member Newbie

State Laws

check this site...I know they have to " students must participate in the annual statewide testing program and the Basic Skills Assessment Program approved by the State Board of Education for their appropriate grade level. The tests must be administered by a certified school district employee either with public school students or by special arrangement at the student's place of instruction, at the parent's option. The parent is responsible for paying the test administrator if the test is administered at the student's home; and"<<<this is directly from the link above

Unregistered Guest

Default Any advice appreciated in SC

Quote Originally Posted by Autdad View Post
    State Laws

check this site...I know they have to " students must participate in the annual statewide testing program and the Basic Skills Assessment Program approved by the State Board of Education for their appropriate grade level. The tests must be administered by a certified school district employee either with public school students or by special arrangement at the student's place of instruction, at the parent's option. The parent is responsible for paying the test administrator if the test is administered at the student's home; and"<<<this is directly from the link above
    I am really in need of direction. My son, now 13, was pulled from public middle, and started the K12 program, Cyber Academy. For a host of reasons, my 'gifted and talented' student has just regressed. I would like to home school him, and if nec, certainly no objection to subscribing to an online portfolio/curriculum. However, I cant seem to find clear cut instructions on my legal responsibility to have him home schooled. I surely do not want to face any type of consequence for this move. I continually see that home school must be approved by the Board of Trustees. Thats fine, but after calling three local, public schools, I have received no more info or instruction beyond that. So, here I sit,,somebody?Anybody?

proud2Bgreen is offline Senior Member

Hi Guest ,
    If after trying to contact them again, with no response, I would advise to go to there in person. Also, here are few sites on homeschooling in South Carolina that may help

South Carolina Homeschooling Information
    https://ed.sc.gov/agency/programs-se...tion-59-65.pdf
    South Carolina Homeschooling Laws | A2Z Homeschooling
    SC Homeschool Law - Carolina Homeschooler
    Roadschooling Mom to DD & DS