Considering homeschool for special needs child in Fairfiled County, SC. HELP PLEASE
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By proud2Bgreen

Thread: Considering homeschool for special needs child in Fairfiled County, SC. HELP PLEASE

Odye Guest

Default Considering homeschool for special needs child in Fairfiled County, SC. HELP PLEASE

Hi,
    I am looking for help.
    I have a son in Fairfield County, SC.I have a child with special needs that I am considering homeschooling because he is not getting his needs met in his current public school. He has an IEP and gets services, speech therapy and occupational through the school. I want to homeschool him, but I am lost and thoroughly confused by all the information trying to get started. I am looking for someone from my state who has a special needs child that is using Time For Learning to help guide me on how to get started. I want my son to continue getting his services through the public school while I homeschool him using TFL, but I need help on how to go about this. If anyone on this forum could help me or refer me to someone who can I'd greatly appreciate it. Thank you so much!

proud2Bgreen is offline Senior Member

Default Re: Considering homeschool for special needs child in Fairfiled County, SC. HELP PLEA

Hi,
    I am not from SC, so I cannot really help you with your question from personal experience, except to say maybe contacting your local school board and see what can be done. I know in my state, even if you are homeschooling, your children can still attend a class or use the services through the public school system. I also wanted to say that there is also a Special Needs thread on this forum. So, you might be able to find other special needs families that are using Time4Learning there. I hope this has helped

Special Needs
    Strouse House likes this.
    Roadschooling Mom to DD & DS

jamesnrfmom is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Re: Considering homeschool for special needs child in Fairfiled County, SC. HELP PLEA

Hi there, I'm an educator in SC who works from home and homeschools. My sympathies that you are dealing with difficulty with your school district. I am not in your situation, but I would suggest starting with a good homeschool association and going from there. A good association will know how to advise you. SCAIHS is expensive but has many resources to help you: https://www.homeschoolingsc.org/reso...ations/scaihs/ You might want to give them a call to see what, if anything, the state is required to do regarding providing services to homeschoolers.

Other associations can also be very knowledgeable and helpful:
    https://www.homeschoolingsc.org/reso...-associations/

I hope this helps!